× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Connecting to the admin page"

Paul_White
Guide

"Connecting to the admin page"

Hi,

I can see from searching that this has happened to others.

My NAS did an upgrade yesterday to 6.10.5 and now when I try to access the admin page it is looping i.e. it asks for the username and password then after a few seconds goes to "Connecting to the admin page" then asks for the username and password again.

I have 3 NAS this one, a RN314, and a Pro 6 all running 6.10.5 the 314 and 6 are fine.

There is something a bit weird with the 104 - I can see a share "admin" when I look at the device in file explorer "Network" which I don't recognise. I know that HTTP maps to a folder called "admin" and wondering if there is a conection.

I have downloaded the logs.

Can anyone help?

Do do have a backup from a few days ago so a factory reset would not be the end of the world but copying the data back 3.6TB will take time...

Thanks

Paul

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Paul_White wrote:

There is something a bit weird with the 104 - I can see a share "admin" when I look at the device in file explorer "Network" which I don't recognise. I know that HTTP maps to a folder called "admin" and wondering if there is a conection.

That's a private "home" folder - you are seeing it because you are using the NAS admin credentials.

Similarly when you access https://nas-name or https://nas-ip-address (without the /admin suffix) and use the NAS admin credentials as the log in.

You can disable it by turning SMB off on the Home "share" in the web ui.

@Paul_White wrote:

I have downloaded the logs.

@JohnCM_S / @Marc_V :  Do you folks want to take a look?  This issue appears to be showing up for several users.

Message 2 of 13
Paul_White
Guide

I have done a factory reset and re-installed the firmware and for a little while everything worked fine.

Within a matter of minutes the unit has started looping again.

The firmware re-installed was either 6.10.5 or it has updated to this version.

Is there any way of going back to 6.10.4?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Paul_White wrote:

Is there any way of going back to 6.10.4?

One poster found they could log in with internet explorer. One important aspect - the log in also required that they not maximize the browser window.

If you can log in, then you can downgrade back to 6.10.4 

Message 4 of 13
Paul_White
Guide

I have tried ie (not maximised) and that loops too.

I will try some other browsers and report back.

Message 5 of 13
m4ly
Aspirant

Same in my case, did several factory resets. Even on 6.10.4 it does the same only downgrade to 6.10.1 helps. I don’t understand what happens, but on 6.10.4 or 6.10.5 also the Volume Page is Blank, so i can‘t create a new Volume or View the status of the drives.
Message 6 of 13
Paul_White
Guide

After further investigation everything works with 6.10.5 until you change the ethernet settings (I used a fixed IP address) it seems to be at this point that everything goes pear shaped.

I have gone back to 6.10.4

I also noticed that if you create shares using readycloud in 6.10.5 you cannot change the access from "everyone" when connecting via "management" i.e. connecting locally.

Anyway now running 6.10.4, new shares deleted and recreated locally and everything seems to be working as needed.

Message 7 of 13
Swalchy
Aspirant

Would just like to add my name to the list of users now experiencing this issue.

I tried to do a USB Firmware reinstall of 6.10.5, but that didn't work.

Checking my log, seems to be something possibly up with the firmware progress check, as it always ends at this place:

INFO: dpv_=<redacted>, njl_id_=<redacted>,  type=FirmwareProgress

Then it goes back to the signing in text.

I can see from previous entries in the log that after the above line, there should be a final Authorized granted for user:, which it doesn't seem to be getting to.

I've got 6.10.4 to back to, so hopefully that fixes it for the time being.

Message 8 of 13
Zippyduda
Aspirant

I assume there is a way to downgrade from 6.10.5 back to 6.10.4 via SSH without losing any data, is that possible?

Message 9 of 13
Paul_White
Guide

I did my downgrade this way:

1. Using the boot menu "load firmware" and while the NAS is doing its thing...

2. Download firmware from Netgear and extract to desktop

3. Without changing any factory settings go to "System" -> "settings" -> "Manual Install Firmware"

I then made the changes I wanted i.e. fixed IP etc.

So far it is working as it should.

I hope this helps.

Message 10 of 13
Zippyduda
Aspirant

Thanks Paul, will give that a go! 🙂 

Message 11 of 13
mdgm
Virtuoso

@Zippyduda wrote:

I assume there is a way to downgrade from 6.10.5 back to 6.10.4 via SSH without losing any data, is that possible?

Yes. Installing firmware updates via SSH has been possible with every firmware release of OS6. Though of course you shouldn't rely on firmware updates or downgrades going smoothly and regularly backup your data.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Zippyduda wrote:

Some options are here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/Beta-firmware-broke-web-interface-6-10-5-T11-Beta-1/m...

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements