× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Device is Offline" (OS 6.1.4) Frozen / Hung

gregb_pro
Aspirant

"Device is Offline" (OS 6.1.4) Frozen / Hung

A new ReadyNAS 516 running OS 6.1.4 with five new WD2003FYYS RE4 2 TB drives configured RAID-6. The NAS has been powered ON for about 10 days without a reboot (total accumulated time). No "Apps" are installed.

I selected "Defrag" and received expected email notification: "Defragmentation started for Volume 'Data'."
Login attempts several hours later failed - login via https accepts admin username and password, but does not completely load and displays "Device is Offline". Data shares will not mount. The NAS front panel responds to touch pad, illuminating the panel display. The blue disk activity LEDs are solid ON, not flashing (no activity).

What is the recommended recovery process?

Does the NAS have a console port? Perhaps the text from kernel panic message with traceback may help diagnose and fix the issue.
Thanks, Greg
Message 1 of 8
horim80
Guide

Re: "Device is Offline" (OS 6.1.4) Frozen / Hung

Did you enabled the SSH? If so, you can reboot the NAS then check the log or send log to netgear support.
I guess this issue may related anti-virus or snapshot.
Message 2 of 8
praveenverghese
Aspirant

I have the same issue with defrag. The NAS device hangs after an hour of defragmentation process. Had reported it to netgear support, they asked me to re-install the OS, did that and the problem still persists, its definitely a bug with version 6.1.4

-Praveen
Message 3 of 8
gregb_pro
Aspirant

"Device is Offline" (OS 6.1.4) Frozen / Hung (Defrag)

Follow-up status from original post -
ReadyNAS 516 running OS 6.1.4 with five new WD2003FYYS RE4 2 TB drives configured RAID-6. No "Apps" are installed. Defrag started about 18-Nov-2013 21:33 MST. System generated the expected status email ("Defragmentation started for Volume 'Data'"), and I closed the browser Frontview page for the evening.

The NAS was non-responsive in the morning with browser displaying "Device is Offline", but not dead. I performed a forced reboot about 47 hours later (hold front panel power button), at about 20-Nov-2013 20:21 PM MST. The NAS appeared to successfully reboot. I downloaded log archive (System -> Logs -> Download Logs), and uploaded the archive for review (Case 22280603). A brief inspection shows "kernel BUG" logged in kernel.log file. Note the following:

status.log:
[13/11/18 21:33:23 MST] notice:volume:LOGMSG_DEFRAGSTART_VOLUME Defragmentation started for Volume 'Data'.
[13/11/20 20:22:14 MST] info:system:LOGMSG_READYNASD_ABORTED_NOINFO ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.

kernel.log:
Nov 18 21:51:22 flo516 kernel: kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/ctree.c:1152!

The Netgear support engineer suggested OS re-install, but the suggestion was rescinded after reviewing the logs. Google search "kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/extent-tree.c" shows other btrfs systems also impacted with potentially related kernel BUG in fs/btrfs/extent-tree.c. This appears to be an active btrfs bug in the wild (or multiple bugs).
Although the NAS appeared to reboot successfully, how can I trust the integrity of the OS and data? I don't see btfsck invoked on ReadyNAS 516 (it's new code).

Although the time of crash did not appear to be correlated with snapshot (snapshot runs at midnight for daily intervals), I disabled snapshot on all volumes. Antivirus never enabled. The device completed two "Defrag" cycles, but it is difficult to assess any positive effect because the device does not produce any fragmentation statistics.
25-Nov-2013 10:58 PM Defragmentation started for Volume 'Data'.
25-Nov-2013 11:26 PM Defragmentation completed for Volume 'Data'.
26-Nov-2013 08:48 AM Defragmentation started for Volume 'Data'.
26-Nov-2013 09:15 AM Defragmentation completed for Volume 'Data'.

Thanks, Greg
Message 4 of 8
praveenverghese
Aspirant

Thanks Greg for the note. Unfortunately for me, even after disabling antivirus and snapshots which was already disabled, the issue hasn't been fixed. I still cant get the defrag to work.

-Praveen
Message 5 of 8
praveenverghese
Aspirant

The issue is now fixed with firmware 6.1.7
Message 6 of 8
gregb_pro
Aspirant

> by praveenverghese Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 pm
>
> The issue is now fixed with firmware 6.1.7

ReadyNAS OS V6.1.7 Release Notes (11 April 2014) have a vague note about "Fixed defrag hangs with large, very fragmented files." It is not clear 6.1.7 firmware contains a fix for this crash. The crash appears related to btrfs, not Netgear developed firmware for the ReadyNAS. Web search still shows other btrfs users are still experiencing "kernel: kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/ctree.c". However, it may be possible that ReadyNAS firmware was stimulating the condition.

Did your crashes show "kernel BUG" logged in kernel.log file?
Message 7 of 8
gregb_pro
Aspirant

Netgear has suggested this issue is related to using IE web browser, not firmware within the ReadyNAS. However, I use a different browser (Firefox). See:

> "Device is offline--Please wait" - Error seen on ReadyNAS OS 6
> http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7004

As noted above, the issue experienced in the original post appears related to firmware within the ReadyNAS, not the web browser:
> Nov 18 21:51:22 flo516 kernel: kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/ctree.c:1152!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements