× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Lock Period" - Description of use?

BaJohn
Virtuoso

"Lock Period" - Description of use?

With the recent NAS OS, from the Admin page, pressing Shares then Timeline, brings up a complicated picture of the snapshots available for the first share, changeable to other shares as required.
On the timeline shown is a round 'target' which is labelled "Lock Period" (hover the mouse over it).
This enables changes to the breadth of the timeline and can be moved on the current timeline.
For those that have not tried it, try single clicking, dragging and double clicking on the "Lock Period" image.
In conjunction with the left/right arrows, plus/minus buttons and various daily/monthly/yearly displays it is quite a complicated setup.

My question is:- Where is a full description on how to use this "Lock Period" facility and what specifically does it's current position signify?
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you zoom in and out, it will zoom in and out around that, I think. See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26547/~/delete-snapshots-using-the-timeline
Message 2 of 3
BaJohn
Virtuoso

mdgm wrote:
When you zoom in and out, it will zoom in and out around that, I think. See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26547/~/delete-snapshots-using-the-timeline
Although the link provided is predominantly about deleting snapshots, it does mention the "Lock Period" icon BUT calls it the "zoom icon".
No wonder my search on the forum for "Lock Period" was fruitless.
The use of the term "Lock Period" brought up all sorts of connotations as to what extra functionality this facility might give, but doesn't.
I thought I had missed some super subtle facility so would suggest that the name displayed be changed from "Lock Period", probably to "zoom icon", "Reference Point" or similar.
The timeline centers on the zoom icon () as you zoom in and out. You can move the zoom icon by clicking anywhere along the timeline. Moving the zoom icon establishes a new center of focus when you zoom in and out.
Strangely enough, not mentioned is that double clicking on the icon takes a 'chronological straight line and turns it into a circle'.
i.e. "Four Years" > "Annual" > "Monthly" > "Weekly" > "Daily" > "Hourly" > "Four Years", whereas the plus sign on the right expands only to the "Hourly" display.
No objection to that ...... interesting 🙂
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements