× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Phantom" volume created old volume inaccesible - Unable to Commit

A1770
Aspirant

"Phantom" volume created old volume inaccesible - Unable to Commit

Happy New Year Dear ReadyNas users. Another year, another planned disk replacement. Another problem.
Every year i swap one of the disks in our ReadyNases. I do the same this year too but on one RN get a new, unwanted volume with 0 bytes capacity. This volume has no any disk assigned and has a red dot mark. The original volume has all the data but no shares shows from the network. If i try to make some changes i get the same error every time Unable to Commit 10020030001.
Maybe my volume mounted read only? I use the latest OS version.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: "Phantom" volume created old volume inaccesible - Unable to Commit

If you were using XRAID or RAID-1, then I suggest powering down the NAS, and try booting up with the disk you just replaced in it's original slot (with the other slot empty).  That should boot up normally.  If that works, then back up the NAS to ensure the data is safe. 

If you can connect disks to a Windows PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock), then I suggest testing both of the other disks with vendor tools (SeaTools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital).  Use both the long non-destructive test, and the erase (write zeros) test.  

Message 2 of 5
A1770
Aspirant

Thanks for your advise but all the disk are ok. This device had problems before but it seemed after a few reset/OS reinstall solved the problem. Now i think not. My previuos case: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Degraded-volume-Device-can-t-see-di...

I ask for replacement but the support rep said it can be fixed but i need to buy extended support. The sad thing about this last time i get a promise for a phone call back which never happened. This time the rep checked my log and found the problem: there is no free space on the volume named data. Wow! That i told him in the phone. So i ordered a replacement unit and i slowly change all my readynas devices to another solution. I'm done with netgear.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Given the problems you said in the other message that you have with the caddies, I'm wondering if the drive(s) may not be seated well.

Message 4 of 5
A1770
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark, thanks for your reply. When i faced that problem i thought the same. I changed caddies i have few spare of them, swapped the drives in various combinations but i get the same result. The disks worked properly all times until the volume created and disks synced which took at least 20 minutes. I do several factory reset, update and the initial setup and suddenly all seemed ok. Then i used this device only for non important datas for weeks and checked the logs daily. Something not ok with this unit but the support not offer replacement.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements