× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Root corrupt" after removing drive

Dsimeoni
Aspirant

"Root corrupt" after removing drive

I have a ReadyNAS Duo RND2120 with 2 x 1tb drives set up for redundancy. Disk 1 in bay 1 reported smart disk errors which said the drive is likely to fail soon and should be replaced asap. I have a spare disk which contains data which I don't need to keep (but which I have no way to wipe without inserting it into the Nas box).

I didn't know if there was some kind of priority between the bays and I was concerned that if I replaced disk 1 with the spare disk the data on disk 2 might be overwritten with the data on the spare disk. To be on the safe side (I thought) I powered down, removed disk 1, switched disk 2 to bay 1 then powered up - intending to insert the spare disk in bay 2 once the NAS was up and running. However all lights continued flashing on the Nas box and in Raidar the main status light is blue and the info field states "root corrupt". Not wanting to interrupt any processes I left the Nas on overnight however 8 hours later it is still going at full speed ( i.e i can hear the fans etc.) all the lights are still flashing and the status in raidar is still the same. I can't access the control panel as it can't access the Nas and I didn't want to force a shut down without seeking advice in case I might lose data.

I have 2 questions:
- What should I do now?
- In future if I need to replace a drive but the new drive has data on (which I don't need) what procedure should I follow?

Thank you!
Message 1 of 5
amac27
Aspirant

Re: "Root corrupt" after removing drive

you can turn off the NAS and put back the original disk in bay 1. This should boot the NAS to degraded mode as bay 2 is blank. Once the NAS is booted up plug the new disk in bay 2, that should perform a resync.
Message 2 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Dsimeoni - I would not do what amac27 suggested. Disk 1 is throwing errors and a resysnc may cause it to fail completely. I would see if the unit will boot with the original disk 2 in bay 2 by itself. If so, I would do a backup of all your data. Once you have it backed up, and you should be getting messages about disk 1 being removed and volume C; being unprotected. Then hot add the new disk to bay 1.

If the the unit will not boot with the original disk 2 in bay 2 and bay 1 empty, since the original disk 1 has not failed completely, I would shut the system down, remove power to discharge all the circuits, then install the original disk 1 into bay 1, apply power and reboot. The unit should come right up. Then you can do a full backup of your data and when complete, proceed to hot pull disk one and wait for the message in Frontview that the disk has been removed. It will first report it as failed, but then within 5 minutes report it as disk removed. Then hot add the replacement disk. The system should wipe the disk and then resysnc.

I would not take any actions without a current and complete backup of the data, for it is entirely possible that disk 2 is weak. Normally swapping disk 2 from bay 2 to bay 1 should work, but it is not.

Worst case you may have to do a factory default with the original disk2 and the replacement disk in the unit and then restore the data from the backup. That backup is your safety net. Never walk a tightrope without a safety net.
Message 3 of 5
Dsimeoni
Aspirant

Thank you both for your replies.

In the end I switched the drives back to their original location and powered up. The Nas box recovered and I am now planning to switch disk 1 out with a new disk.

Thanks again!
Message 4 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Don't forget the backup. Never trust your important data to just one device.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements