× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ready NAS rnd2110 - User Group Account issues

kwiat87268
Aspirant

ready NAS rnd2110 - User Group Account issues

So I have an old Ready Nas Duo that I still use.  I don't access it often to realize that something happened in the past year and I am not sure quite why.  I apologize if I write a book.  I just want to provide the correct info for someone here to help me troubleshoot.

I have a Macbook pro BTW

So the summary of my issue is that I can't access the group accounts that are set up with data of them.  (Pic1) It almost looks like a DOS command prompt now vs. a folder.  

I can get into my shared folders.  I can get into my shared ip netgear address and my admin ip netgear adress to view my dashboards. 

So things that have changed this past year or possible issues that I am not sure how to solve or if they are related.  Changed from netgear router with the settings that worked on that to a comacast combo modem/router (latest highspeed one).  

From the Finder on Mac, looking at the NAS, it won't allow me to connect to anything but guest. I tried as a registered user.  I never had an issue before.  I think I used the name as the name of the Group list I atatched and a simple password that I always remebered.  

Initially when I double click on the command like prompt, it initially made a comment about the login shell being zsh vs. bash.  From upgrading Mac version, It gave me a page for instructions to change this.  I thought I did.  Nothing changed.  (Not sure if this is an issue).

The data is on the groups.  I can see them

I can provide any other info needed to help

Thanks

Model: RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
kwiat87268
Aspirant

Solution:  I upgraded the NAS firmware and and now able to connect as "Vince" using the AFP file.  Last time a tried this a little while back, it didn't update and created more issues than it was worth.  The upgrade in firmware did the trick for the Catelina MAC...

Thanks for your guidance through all of this.  

Vince

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you just upgrade to Catalina?

Message 2 of 9
kwiat87268
Aspirant

That would be one of the factors that could be in play YES!  I havent accessed these folders until now since this upgrade..   

What do I need to do?  Thanks ahead of time BTW!

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kwiat87268 wrote:

That would be one of the factors that could be in play YES!  I havent accessed these folders until now since this upgrade..   

What do I need to do?  Thanks ahead of time BTW!

I'm not a Mac owner, but from what I've read on this, Apple has removed the SMB 1 protocol that your NAS uses from Catalina (Microsoft is also deprecating SMB 1).  So if you are using SMB to access the shares in Finder, you might need to go back to AFP (enabling it for the NAS  shares of course).

Message 4 of 9
kwiat87268
Aspirant

So i assume you mean go into the Netgear Console and check the box for AFP?  If so, I have done that.  The folders I referred to below still show as a command prompt to open.  Anything else you can suggest?  Feel free to ask other questions.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@kwiat87268 wrote:

The folders I referred to below still show as a command prompt to open. 

I don't get what you mean by that (perhaps because I don't own a Mac).

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I have read something about Apple eliminating to the icon most NAS manufacturers use to represent the NAS shares in Finder, so it has to use something else.  But from what I understand, it's just cosmetic -- the shares behave normally.  Are yours not accessible even with AFP enabled?

A Mac can also access NFS shares, so you could try enabling that, too.  But I believe you do need to explicitly mount the shares, as there is no "advertisement" of their availability.

Message 7 of 9
kwiat87268
Aspirant

My apologies for not getting back sooner for that my IT issues got trumped by plumbing issues.  

I appreciate your help

The files are not accessable with AFP enabled.  The one attachment is a printscreen of Mac finder.  See the "Vince". That is the issue I am having.  So I try to connect to the Vince username in MAC finder and I get the following error showing that it is not accessable.  See attachment.  In finder right now, I can only connect as guest and view the shared folders but not the "Vince" which is not shared.

Message 8 of 9
kwiat87268
Aspirant

Solution:  I upgraded the NAS firmware and and now able to connect as "Vince" using the AFP file.  Last time a tried this a little while back, it didn't update and created more issues than it was worth.  The upgrade in firmware did the trick for the Catelina MAC...

Thanks for your guidance through all of this.  

Vince

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements