× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas 516 compatibility 15k rpm and 10k rpm

chemyriad
Aspirant

readynas 516 compatibility 15k rpm and 10k rpm

does 516 model support 10k or 15k rpm drives if yes please post link to the hdds

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Re: readynas 516 compatibility 15k rpm and 10k rpm

Is there a reason why?    You're speed is going to be limited by the Giabit port more then the speed of the HDD.  Maybe if you had a 10Gbit Network port speed would matter more so.    Heat is more of a enemy I think and faster HDD produce more heat and require more power.  Then you could have 6 of them all being cooled by a single fan in a small compact case.  Trying to get your data through a gigabit connection.   You're trying to suck your data through a straw that may need a 6" pipe.   To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  I'm using 4 WD Red drives, the Speed is around 5400 RPM,  and 2 Seagate NAS drives that are 5900 RPM,  I have the two Gigabit ports plugged into my Managed 24-port Gigabit switch and have them Bonded using LACP 2+3.  I can already pretty much max my network connection to my Modified 516.  

So I'm not sure what you're trying to accomlish with 10K or 15K drives in it?  It can't go any faster then your Network connection limitation.   To me it sounds like you have the wrong NAS for your needs.  Maybe a ReadyNAS 716 or better.  Something with a 10Gigabit connection.  That includes your switch, and to your computer.  Not exacly cheap, but if you have money to spend on fast HDD's like that and want speed, a gigabit connection is not going to cut it.

It's also more then likey why they arn't tested and posted on their HDD compatibility list.  You can try it and see if it works, but again, what's the point?  I was looking at the HDD from Newegg.  A 2,5" drive in a cooling frame around it.  $314 for 1TB?  Why?  You can get a WD RED 6TB drive for about $274 from newegg right now.  6 times the storage for cheaper, runs cooler, is for a NAS, and can still keepup over a Gigabit Network connection.  I have a couple 3TB ones in my NAS that are over 4 years old now.  I pulled them from my older ReadyNAS and put them into my 516.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

RN516 Supports SATA Drives , Which are 7200 RPM or Lower . You could choose a Enterprise version or Lower from the Link . 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/readynas-hard-disk-compatibility-list

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@chemyriad wrote:

does 516 model support 10k or 15k rpm drives if yes please post link to the hdds

I don't know if Netgear tested any of these drives, but the Hardware Compatibility List is here - http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20641/~/readynas-hard-disk-compatibility-list

SATA drives not on the list often work, but Netgear can and will deny support if you use them. 

Personally I'll be looking at SSDs instead (though that likely also means straying from the HCL).

Message 3 of 10
chemyriad
Aspirant

i looked thru the compatibility list but doesnt have a rpm coloumn.iam now checking induvidual models one by one.if anybody have prior experience with these drives it will be helpful

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We don't support SAS disks in the ReadyNAS. You'll need to use HDDs/SSDs with a SATA interface.

Message 5 of 10
chemyriad
Aspirant

ok .but i was referring to sata drives with 10k rpm like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236243 this one

Message 6 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Is there a reason why?    You're speed is going to be limited by the Giabit port more then the speed of the HDD.  Maybe if you had a 10Gbit Network port speed would matter more so.    Heat is more of a enemy I think and faster HDD produce more heat and require more power.  Then you could have 6 of them all being cooled by a single fan in a small compact case.  Trying to get your data through a gigabit connection.   You're trying to suck your data through a straw that may need a 6" pipe.   To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  I'm using 4 WD Red drives, the Speed is around 5400 RPM,  and 2 Seagate NAS drives that are 5900 RPM,  I have the two Gigabit ports plugged into my Managed 24-port Gigabit switch and have them Bonded using LACP 2+3.  I can already pretty much max my network connection to my Modified 516.  

So I'm not sure what you're trying to accomlish with 10K or 15K drives in it?  It can't go any faster then your Network connection limitation.   To me it sounds like you have the wrong NAS for your needs.  Maybe a ReadyNAS 716 or better.  Something with a 10Gigabit connection.  That includes your switch, and to your computer.  Not exacly cheap, but if you have money to spend on fast HDD's like that and want speed, a gigabit connection is not going to cut it.

It's also more then likey why they arn't tested and posted on their HDD compatibility list.  You can try it and see if it works, but again, what's the point?  I was looking at the HDD from Newegg.  A 2,5" drive in a cooling frame around it.  $314 for 1TB?  Why?  You can get a WD RED 6TB drive for about $274 from newegg right now.  6 times the storage for cheaper, runs cooler, is for a NAS, and can still keepup over a Gigabit Network connection.  I have a couple 3TB ones in my NAS that are over 4 years old now.  I pulled them from my older ReadyNAS and put them into my 516.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

So I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with 10K or 15K drives in it?  

The RN516 is network-limited with large file transfers, but seek time can still be a limiting factor for some applications (remote database access for instance).

I suggested an SSD because I think it would be a much better solution than the 10K/15K drive idea.  IOPS are much higher with SSD than any mechanical disk.  Perhaps flexraid, an SSD jbod disk combined with a traditional RAID volume.

Message 8 of 10
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Ok, ya, a SSD would be a good idea, especally at the price point of the HDD he was looking at getting.  Looking at prices, He can get a 1TB SSD drive for cheaper then the 1TB drive he listed from Newegg.  You would have fast seek times, without the heat issues.  In a small 2.5" package.  Seems like a great idea t me.  If it's seek times on lots of small files then it makes sense.  Especally by a lot of people at once.  If it's lots of large files, streaming or transfering, then a larger HDD makes more sense then a fast one.  So it comes back to what are his needs and looking to accomplish.   SSD is clearly the better way to go then a 10,000 or 15,000 RPM HDD.

Message 9 of 10
chemyriad
Aspirant

Thank you all for your valuable inputs

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements