× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas cant create mapped drive to root

ummjay
Aspirant

readynas cant create mapped drive to root

hi all-

driving me crazy here. i cant seem to create a mapped drive to the root of my readynas since i've moved apartments.

i've tried the below:

Try these steps.

1. Open CMD and use net use t: \\ip.address.of.nas\data /user:admin
2. Then enter the password for 'admin' to connect.

t: is a sample drive letter 

it says it completed successfully, but i dont see the drive mapping, and when i net use again, i show unavailable T: \\nasname\data

i also tried to reset my password on the admin page, to see, but no dice.

any idea how to access the route via windows explorer (using windows 7).

i cant recall if i had it mapped or maybe acessible via homegroup?

any help would be welcomed! thanks. trying to access my plex root files.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ummjay
Aspirant

Re: readynas cant create mapped drive to root

thanks all . seemed i figured it out somehow . once i opened the port on my firewall, and got a replacement router from my provider, it just worked.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

Open CMD and use net use t: \\ip.address.of.nas\data /user:admin

That is the correct command, though if there's a chance that other SMB sessions are open you might also need net use * /delete first.

The NAS knows nothing about homegroups, so adjusting that won't help.  The workgroup often matters (generally it is good to set the workgroup on the NAS to match the PCs).

You might also try changing the NAS admin password, and see if that helps.  Rebootng the PC might be a good idea too.

BTW, you shouldn't use "data" as a share name or an account name - that can interfere.  The NAS doesn't check account names or share names against the volume names, and it really should.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

It should work, assuming you are not already using another set of credentials for another share on the NAS. Try using the "Map Network Drive" option in Windows Explorer with the "Connect using different credentials" option. If that still doesn't work, see is you have some leftover credentials in the Windows credential manager.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It should work, assuming you are not already using another set of credentials for another share on the NAS. 

Which is what the net use * /delete prevents.

Message 4 of 6
ummjay
Aspirant

thanks all . seemed i figured it out somehow . once i opened the port on my firewall, and got a replacement router from my provider, it just worked.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ummjay wrote:

You are using SMB over the internet?  That is a bad idea.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements