× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas pro 2 - corrupt root

Khalid2019
Aspirant

readynas pro 2 - corrupt root

Hi

I have readynas pro 2 , and the status corrupt root .

I don't want to reset the device because I have data i don't want to lose .

Also I try access to the device from the browser by using ip address , but it's giving me error can't find the device .

In attachment photo from the screen .

And in the photo you can see the first Hard Disk disabled and the second Hard Disk enabled I don't why happen this problem ?

Message 1 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Re: readynas pro 2 - corrupt root

You could try powering down the NAS, and booting up with only disk 2 in place.  If that works, then immediately back up your data.  Don't write more data to the NAS.

Message 2 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

Ok , I will try this solution and i will feed you back thank you for your reply

Message 3 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

I also I take off the Hard disk from the readynas pro 2 and I insert in stata adapter .
And I connect the stata adapter to my laptop directly , the hard disk not appear in disk management i cannot see the hard disk

Message 4 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Khalid2019 wrote:

I also I take off the Hard disk from the readynas pro 2 and I insert in stata adapter .
And I connect the stata adapter to my laptop directly , the hard disk not appear in disk management i cannot see the hard disk

So disk 1 appears to have failed.  Do you have any idea when that might have happened?

Did the system boot without it? (leaving disk 2 in slot 2)?

Message 5 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

For first question really , I don't know why it's happen the problem in hard disk number one .

For the second question , I will try boot without hard disk number one (leaving disk 2 in slot 2) , I will feed you back .

Message 6 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

Hi

I tried the solution you write up , but I face the same problem is there another solution ?

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Khalid2019 wrote:

I tried the solution you write up , but I face the same problem is there another solution ?

Not really.  You can try to recover the data in your PC using R-linux ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ )  Or you can purchase data recovery from Netgear ( https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service )

It's hard to say what happened exactly - though I am thinking that disk 2 might not be healthy either.  You should also test it with vendor tools while it is in the PC (lifeguard for Western Digital; seatools for Seagate).

When you do get the NAS running again, you should enable email alerts, so you will get notified when disks begin failing (or when backup jobs fail, etc).  Plus put a backup plan in place for the NAS (RAID isn't enough to keep data safe).

Message 8 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

Ok , I will try this solution up .

But I have another problems 

1 - The power adapter I am using now not the orginal adapter for readynas pro 2 because the original adaptar I lost , and I am using another adaptar from another readynas not same model , is that make problem with Harddisk ?

2- And if I want to buy another original adapter , I don't know the exactly adapter model for the readynas pro 2 , can you help me to find the exactly adapter model ?

3 - If I put another hard disk , can the readynas pro 2 work good or will still have problem ? , or I need special hard disk model for the readynas pro2 ?

4 - If I transfer the Hard disks to another device model can the new device read or see the Hard disks  ?

Thank very much for your kind help .

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

The NAS boots from the hard disk.  The specific error you are seeing means that the OS partition is somehow corrupted so that the NAS can't boot from it.  It is a RAID-1 array itself, so the mirror on disk 2 should have been able to boot even when disk 1 had failed.  But it couldn't when you removed disk 1. 

One explanation there is that disk 1 failed some time ago, and disk 2 just recently started failing.  Another is that whatever happened when disk 1 failed somehow resulted in wrong data being mirrored onto disk 2.

I don't think this is likely related to the power adapter, though I guess if the adapter was underpowered it could have created some issues with the disk motor, etc.  Often when the power adapter is marginal, the system will still boot with one disk.  And if it fails outright, the system won't boot at all.

Putting in a blank disk (by itself) will normally result in a fresh factory install on that disk.  That is a reasonable way to test the power adapter, and the NAS chassis.

Message 10 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

Why when I try access to readynas pro 2 from internet browser , I cannot access , I get error the address not found ?

Message 11 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Khalid2019 wrote:

Why when I try access to readynas pro 2 from internet browser , I cannot access , I get error the address not found ?

Is it diskless?  Can you ping it?

Message 12 of 19
Sandshark
Sensei

Every power brick for 2-drive legacy ReadyNAS I have seen is 12V, 5A, so your adapter from another NAS is likely fine.  And, as @StephenB said, symptoms do not align with a power problem.

Message 13 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

also the hard disk number two not working when I connected to my laptop by using sata adapter its not appear in device manager , so I lose all the data .

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Khalid2019 wrote:

also the hard disk number two not working when I connected to my laptop by using sata adapter its not appear in device manager , so I lose all the data .

Are you running the Microsoft Disk Manager?  The disk format won't be recognized by windows, but they should show up in the disk manager.

You could also try installing the vendor disk diagnostic, and see if it can find the drives.  Install Lifeguard for Western Digital; Seatools for Seagate.

Message 15 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

Yes windows 10 .
I installed Seatools for the hard disk but cannot see the hard disk .
I need solution for the problem .

Message 16 of 19
StephenB
Guru

If neither disk can be seen by Seatools, then either both disks are completely dead, or there is something wrong with your USB adapter. If the disks are completely dead, then there is no solution.  But if the NAS says "corrupt root", then it does see something...

If you have another known working disk, you could test the USB adapter with that.

Also, some older adapters won't work with disks > 2 TB.  How large are your disks?

Message 17 of 19
Khalid2019
Aspirant

Before I can see hard disk number 2 but now i cannot see hard disk number 2 in device manager .

Every hard disk 2 TB .

Really I am confused why device for backup doing big problem like this and I lose the data .

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@Khalid2019 wrote:

Really I am confused why device for backup doing big problem like this and I lose the data .

It's hard to say what happened, since there isn't any history to examine.  But it isn't that uncommon for multiple disks in a RAID array to fail in rapid succession - they are under identical loads in the same chassis.  However, I haven't had too many disks fail by going non-responsive.  Usually they fail with a lot of disk I/O errors.

The net here is that RAID isn't enough to keep data safe - you still need a backup on at least one other device.

Did you have email alerts configured on the NAS?  If you did, did you receive any alerts?

@Khalid2019 wrote:

Before I can see hard disk number 2 but now i cannot see hard disk number 2 in device manager .

It might be worth rebooting the PC and trying again.  You could also try booting with disk 2 in slot 1 of the NAS.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements