× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas remote connection

bstinson
Star

readynas remote connection

I have 2 RN 3138 ReadyNAS units i want to connect via internet. What is the most secure and reliable way to achieve this to perform backups

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: readynas remote connection

One way is to install ZeroTier on the two NAS, and use that to set up a VPN between then.  Then you can use rsync or ReadyDR for backup (whichever suits your needs best).

Another approach is to use DNS/DDNS, and port forwarding in the two routers.  Then you can use either rsync-over-ssh or ReadyDR for the backups.

Both of these approaches have good security.  ZeroTier is a bit simpler, but it does require you to trust their cloud service (which manages their VPN).

Message 2 of 6
bstinson
Star

Point to Point VPN between routers i noticed is not one of your options. You don't think that would be the most secure method?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Point-to-Point VPN between the routers would certainly work.  The over-the-internet aspect is secure. 

However, the vpn joins the two networks - which might be a security risk in some situations.  For instance, if one of the NAS is on an employee's home network, it would result in anyone on the home network having access to the corporate network (and vice-versa).  You can put in access controls to limit that access, but it can be complicated to configure.

Message 4 of 6
bstinson
Star

The router I have in mind has ports that can be assigned zones that would separate the networks. Sonicwall firewall appliance.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@bstinson wrote:

The router I have in mind has ports that can be assigned zones that would separate the networks. Sonicwall firewall appliance.

That sounds like a clean solution to me. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements