× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readynas webdav access

cangayu
Aspirant

readynas webdav access

hello i have some netgear Nas.

I would like to access them by webdav for external network.

I do that with my synology Nas without problem. I use netdrive or RailDrive software, so i can use external Nas from my pc as it is in my local network (using windows explorer folders).

In the past i used Remote readyNas, it worked fine, but it is discontinued.

What can i use ?

Is possible configure Netdrive or Raildrive to do this with Readynas ?

thanks

Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

For starters, which NAS model and firmware version are you wanting to do this on?  It makes a difference.

WebDAV is enabled in the share's HTTP(S) Network Access configuration.  But you still need appropriate routing of WebDAV to the NAS via your router, where a VPN is often the best solution.  For a legacy NAS running OS4.x or 5.x, the best VPN solution is OpenVPN running in your router.  For OS6, that's one option, or you can run OpenVPN or ZeroTier on the NAS.

Message 2 of 6
cangayu
Aspirant

I have two OS6 based and one NV+ 

I am focused in accessing ReadyNas314 OS6 based, firmware 6.10.3

I understand easy solution is using VPN ( i forget other software like Netdrive o Raildrive)

If second option, do i need any app in my Nas ?

On the list i see a VPN software but is not OpenVPN is from https://www.softether.org/

Is the same ?

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Not the same, but SoftEther has an OpenVPN clone mode.  But the available app is extremely old -- you'd be better off installing something newer via SSH.

I assume there is some specific reason ReadyCloud won't work for you.  I personally choose not to use it, but it's the easiest remote access to set up.

Have you looked at ZeroTier (https://www.zerotier.com/ )?  I happen to like and use it.  The ReadyNAS-specific version's not up to date, but it is more so than the VPN App listed in the available apps.  I've not done WebDAV over it, but there's no reason it shouldn't work.  The last version for the ReadyNAS that includes a GUI is here 1.1.14.  Version 1.2.4 is more up to date, but you need to do the configuration via SSH.  They are available here: https://github.com/didyouexpectthat/zerotierone/releases .  I like ZeroTier because it just connects the devices running it, it doesn't connect to my whole network.  Some will want that, others not.

Message 4 of 6
cangayu
Aspirant

- Can you recommend any software to install in ReadyNas as VPN server ?

- I don´t like ReadyCloud because is web based, i want to use the folders as if i am in local

So the options are: VPN or ZeroTier.

In first option i need to install on readynas a VPN sever, existing app is very old, which can i use ?

thanks

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

ReadCloud allows you to map NAS shares like they were local, you just have to use the ReadyCloud app to do it, not standard Windows tools.  It, too, is a VPN -- just a specialized one.

ZeroTier is a VPN, just not a conventional one.  It's what I use for remote access to my NAS and also NAS-to-NAS remote backup (which ReadyCloud won't do).  It basically sets up another IP address you can access from any other device that's also running ZeroTier and has been allowed into the "network".  For my own use, a device that's 192.168.0.40 locally is 192.168.192.40 on ZeroTier.  Just use the ZeroTier address like you would a local one.  It does work locally, too.  Much like ReadyCloud, it uses a central server to locate and direct you to the target, but the remaining traffic is directly between the devices, not relayed.

The best place to install a more conventional VPN is in your router, not the NAS.  I ran OpenVPN on a NAS a long time ago, and don't really recommend that approach.  Once I found out about ZeroTier, I ditched OpenVPN.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements