× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

recovering after drive failure

lundmilo
Luminary

Re: recovering after drive failure

@JoeG1701 wrote:

Recovery efforts are wrapping up, looks like we were able to recover just under 1TB of data (out of 3.4TB).  Good news is that 1TB incuded a lot of the stuff we needed...but not everything...so it's a partial win.  Just waiting for the "All Clear" signal so I can pull the NAS off the network, replace all the old drives and rebuild the NAS from Scratch.

I have a High Capacity External USB Drive that I'm going to use to back up my NAS on a regular basis to to avoid the same kind of problem in the short term, while I figure out a long term backup solution I can implement (sooner than later)

I have a ReadyNAS 204 with 2x2 TB WD Red drives that is used to store family documents, photos and videos. I have setup a Backup job to run every wednesday and sunday at 20:05. All I have to is connect my 2 TB USB drive sometimes in the afternoon. The USB disk is kept in my company van so in case of fire or burglery while at work I don't lose my data.

It is not a fully automated backup, but it is cheap, and with 2 weekly updates the potential data loss is very limited.

Message 26 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@lundmilo wrote:

I have a ReadyNAS 204 with 2x2 TB WD Red drives that is used to store family documents, photos and videos. I have setup a Backup job to run every wednesday and sunday at 20:05. All I have to is connect my 2 TB USB drive sometimes in the afternoon. The USB disk is kept in my company van so in case of fire or burglery while at work I don't lose my data.

USB drives are a popular approach (though I like using other NAS myself).

If your backups are incremental, I suggest that you run diags periodially on the drives (or schedule in full backups periodically).  Then you'll detect any issues with the USB backups before you need them.

Message 27 of 29
lundmilo
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@lundmilo wrote:

USB drives are a popular approach (though I like using other NAS myself).

If your backups are incremental, I suggest that you run diags periodially on the drives (or schedule in full backups periodically).  Then you'll detect any issues with the USB backups before you need them.

Thanks Stephen

I always just used an incremental backup, and when the USB drive was full i performed a manual full backup.

Now I am using a 2 TB USB drive to do incremental backup of approx. 1 TB of data, so it will be some time until the drive is full.

Yesterday i changed the scheduled backup to run a full backup every 4 weeks, so last night it made a full backup which was completed in a little over 3 hours,

Message 28 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@lundmilo wrote:

I always just used an incremental backup, and when the USB drive was full i performed a manual full backup.

I've sometimes found that when I tried to read back the old files (which hadn't changed, so were written to USB long ago), that those sectors on the USB had failed.  If you use multiple USB drives, the risk is reduced, but it's still a good idea to periodically verify your backups. 

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements