× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

removing a hard drive

ramymounir
Aspirant

removing a hard drive

i have a readynas 516 with 6 bay. i am using 5 hard drives 4tb each. currently i have over 5 tb ot free space, and i would like to remove one of the hard drives and just use 4 because i need the 5th hdd. when i removed the hdd and turned the nas on it said data degraded, and i had to put the drive back and wait for over a day for the data to resync. i was wondering how can i remove a hard drive and keep the data as is.

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 4
ramymounir
Aspirant

Re: removing a hard drive

noone?

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@ramymounir wrote:

i was wondering how can i remove a hard drive and keep the data as is.

You can't do that from the web ui, but there is a way to do it from ssh.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-...

Make sure you have a backup of the data if you attempt it.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Your message was locked, and now hat it's unlocked, I see @StephenB has pointed you toward my post on reducing RAID size.  It's a bit complex -- not a good place to cut your teeth in Linux if you are a novice.  But so long as you have a backup, it's worth a try.  The "approved method", of course, is backup, factory default with one less drive, and restore data.  If the reduction process goes sideways, you still have that option, so long as you have a backup.

If you are a novice, a good way to make sure you get it right is to copy the commands as I list them to a text editor on your PC, edit them as you need them to be for your configuration, then paste them into the SSH console one at a time to execute.  In Putty, a right mouse click is a paste.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements