× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

replaced drive, shares missing, could I have done better?

parishpete
Aspirant

replaced drive, shares missing, could I have done better?

I've swapped a drive (volume D) that sufferred smart errors and it is being replaced under RMA. (it was a 1Tb drive, 16% used with 4000 re-allocated sectors)

Naively I assumed that there would be no memory of the shares on that disk - but there was. The shares existed somewhere in the readynas brain but not physically on the disk.

My thanks to Ewok for an earlier post pointing to an add on to cure the problem (which it did).

I run two separate volumes; Work on C and Home on D. both are are backed up elsewhere so a drive failure is no big deal.

Given that the failing drive was accessible, was there a better way to swap it for a brand new one thus avoiding the all the nonsense.

many thanks

Pete
Message 1 of 2
Rabbie
Aspirant

Re: replaced drive, shares missing, could I have done better

From your description, seems you set raid0 for volume. So it is nod good. No redundance, one drive failed may caused data lost.
If i make mistake, please tell us how many drives you used, and which drives configured for C which drives configured for D, and which raid grade you set.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements