× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rn104 updated to 6.4.0 and possible solution to random lock-ups

StephenB
Guru

@ifixidevices wrote:

What changes specifically?

Well, we know that the boot loader was updated, and that at least can't be reversed by your procedure.

Message 26 of 93
ifixidevices
Luminary

Hmmmm, well it seems to work just fine after it's been updated with the 6.2.4 because I was able to then re-update back to 6.4.0 again (stupidly but it worked.)

I think for those who have production units that have backups that just need to get up and running again it'd be beneficial to go back to 6.2.4

I'm waiting for a resync to finish to see how performance is once i peg out the unit again. Hopefully will be done by the end of the day. 

Message 27 of 93
Calder
Guide

Thanks for all the comments, I need to have my production unit more reliable (under load freezes and iSCSI not sharing on Win restart) so I might try and downgrade back to 6.2.5 on the backup unit and keep troubleshooting 6.4.0 with you guys.  The only thing that's keep both my RN104 running right now is to disable my backup imagine jobs which obviously is not ideal but I am sure we will get to the bottom of this and keep Murphy out of the picture somehow.

Message 28 of 93
Calder
Guide

Looking forward to your finings and loadtest.. I am downloading the img you had mentioned earlier just to be ready.  Thanks!

Message 29 of 93
ifixidevices
Luminary

Hey you do what you have to do!

My device isn't necessarily a hobby device but I also don't have 20 users hooked up to it expecting it to work every day. It's mostly me expecting it to do 20 things at a time and if it fails only I end up getting mad at the box and not 20 people get mad at me.

You don't want the regulars to start to conspire against the IT guy... that's never a good scenario 🙂

Message 30 of 93
Calder
Guide

Small update, downgraded to 6.4.0 Beta then to 6.2.5, unbind NIC, factory resetted, raid just finished resync, creating shares and LUN now, and will start the copy soon.  If this works then the bugger job is to do the same on the live production unit, not looking forward to that.  I'll update everyone as this progresses.

Message 31 of 93
Calder
Guide

Another update, still restoring data to the 6.2.5 downgraded RN104, no freezes yet.  The 6.4.0 production unit has not locked up all day.  Once the restore is done on the 6.2.5 then I'll test the imaging process (where it always froze).  More to come later.

Message 32 of 93
Calder
Guide

OK, the production unit running 6.4.0 froze again, it freezes 100% of the time when I start the Acronis image process using its share to be the destination.  As soon as it writes, it freezes.  Also, not all Windows drives using iSCSI will appear after a restart.

Since I have not heard anything back since my log submission to Netgear, I have no choice but to go back to 6.2.5 on both units - both "downgrades" although very time consuming, were sucessfully using ifixidevices' method (thank you).  Hopefully I won't press the Update Firmware button on the pop up windows on the admin GUI by mistake.

Message 33 of 93
ifixidevices
Luminary

Glad I could help get you back up and running. It's annoying that they built in a feature that you can't downgrade but I understand why if they updated the bootloader (although it seems downgrading works just fine regardless.)

I'm still running 6.4.0 on my main unit (don't want to go through the hassle of moving over 10TB's of data) so that's where I'm at with that currently. It seems as time has progressed it's gotten less buggy (especially since the resync stopped.) However until the release a new update I'd recommend most everyone hold off on upgrading as there's nothing worth upgrading for. I also wouldn't recommend upgrading to the next release netgear puts out either until you hear back from those of us brave enough to install it and see what it does or doesn't do to address the many issues present across all platforms.

Message 34 of 93
tripy
Aspirant

Yeah, I will do the same this weekend.

I have buyed a couple disks, just to be able to backup the content before reseting the unit.

I "just" use my nas as photo, dvd and backups storage for the family pc's, so nothing critical at least, but it's still a pain to do so.

Thank to you IfixDevices for providing a way to get back, and Calder for trying it.

Brian, if you want me to keep the device in version 6.4.0 so that you have a chance to go on remote, it's the last moment to say it.

If I don't hear from you in the next 15 or so hours (gmt+2 here), I'll downgrade the unit.

Its been more than 10 days you got the logs, and I haven't got any feedback since.

Thanks all.

Thierry.

Message 35 of 93
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Just to add following ifixdevices advice I downgraded a Ultra4 (x86 legacy) from 6.4.0 to 6.2.4 and it's completely fine (and much more stable).

It would be great if someone from Netgear would explain in detail exactly why they think it's a bad idea - I can't see the bootloader being an issue as on the legacy units you can downgrade back to 4.2.27 if you want to. I know a factory reset is needed as quotas and snapshots are different from 6.2.x to 6.4.x.

It would also be great if there was some sort of progress update on all the issues that have been identified in 6.4.0 - ie. hang on autoshutdown we think is x and we are doing y, even if you haven't identified the issue i'm sure there are lots of us here who would try things to help.

A

Message 36 of 93
michaelarnauts
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues as described in this topic. I've updated my device on the 7th of October, and it first hung the 24th. After a reboot (and still during the resync), it hung again the 28th. I'm copying my data now and will try to go back to 6.2.5.

I'm quite dissapointed in Netgear for this. Firmwares like these are supposed to be tested fully before offering users an upgrade. 

Message 37 of 93
obaeyens
Aspirant

I have not had any lockups anymore on the 104 and 204.

But as far as I have seen it occurs random and AFTER you did a lot of disk activity like modifying or moving files.

Message 38 of 93
michaelarnauts
Aspirant

Downgrade done. I had to unplug the power when the display kept showing "Restarting now. See you soon", even though the webinterface said I shoudn't do that.

Message 39 of 93
Calder
Guide

Post-downgrade to  6.2.5 update...

Both RN104 units stable and back to normal, ran the imaging process on both units this afternoon and had no problems.  If you are having problems with 6.4.0 and can spare the time and effort, worthwhile to go back to 6.2.5 while Netgear fixes the new firmware.

Message 40 of 93
michaelarnauts
Aspirant

I've opened a support ticket and got the following questions. Maybe this can help us narrow down to find the cause?

You may try the following steps as workaround;
1. Please disable Anti-virus.
Anti-Virus was already disabled.

2. Disable any snapshots or and any add-on from the ReadyNAS.
There were no add-ons running the second crash. I disabled them after the first crash.

3. Please try different Ethernet cable or ports from the ReadyNAS? If done, please may I know if the ReadyNAS is connected to a router or a switch?
There were no interface errors on the connection to my Gigabit switch.

* How often it locked up the connection from the ReadyNAS?
I last had to restart my device 3 days ago. I would say every few days.

* How did it locked up, is it when you try accessing the admin page or backing up the files to the ReadyNAS?
I'm monitoring my NAS by sending a ping every 5 minutes. It crashed when I wasn't using it.

* Can you ping the IP?
Nope.

* Is there an external USB plugged in to your ReadyNAS? I also suggest to check if both disk spin down and power timer feature are enabled, have them disabled and see if the freezing behavior continues.
There was no external USB disk connected. Power timer features are not enabled. Disk spindown was enabled, but after 6 hours, so they were not spinning down.

* can you still access the data?
No, the device is completely unreachable untill I remove the power. After a reboot, it starts to resync, but my data is accessable at that moment.

* Is Factory Default an option?
Normally no, but I have no choise.

------

Is there anybody who got crashes when disk spindown was disabled, or who didn't have any snapshots?

Message 41 of 93
tripy
Aspirant

It was my case for the last 3 or 4 crashes.

No spindown and every snapshots where disabled.

And I had it crashing when nobody was using it also.

Message 42 of 93
ifixidevices
Luminary

Just to update everyone there is a new beta out 6.4.1 and I will be testing it on three different units to see the performance. I know we all don't do the same things but I can tell you in a few days if my boxes have managed to stay online or not. 6.4.1 so far seems very fast UI wise but I'll need a little time to test it out and see if it locks up or not. Hopefully it's what 6.4.0 should have been.

Message 43 of 93
StephenB
Guru

@Calder wrote:

Post-downgrade to  6.2.5 update...

Both RN104 units stable and back to normal, ran the imaging process on both units this afternoon and had no problems.  If you are having problems with 6.4.0 and can spare the time and effort, worthwhile to go back to 6.2.5 while Netgear fixes the new firmware.

Try 6.4.1 beta first.  I've been running a pre-release version for a couple of days on my RN102, and it is working well.

Message 44 of 93
ifixidevices
Luminary

It's beta... we don't know what will or won't be an issue at the moment. If you've already downgraded stay there. If you haven't then you can try the beta version... I have yet to put it on my rn104

Message 45 of 93
StephenB
Guru

@ifixidevices wrote:

It's beta... 

Yes it is.  But I think trying it is a better option than downgrading.

I've been running a pre-release version for a couple days on my RN102, and my lockups stopped when I installed it.

So my recommendation is to give it a try first.

Message 46 of 93
mbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I upgraded to 6.4.0 and turned on Jumbo frames on one of my 102 units. It started freezing a lot. Sometimes it was working for 1-2 days and sometimes it froze several times in an evening.

Disabling jumbo frames caused my unit to stop freezing. It has been running for about 3 days now.

I use it as a datastore for my qemu virtual machines (about 14) and every night I take a snapshot of some of the virtual machine images and copy them to the other 102 unit.

So if you have these freezing problems try disabling jumbo frames if you have enabled them.

Regards

Magnus

Message 47 of 93
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mbo,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the tip. Can you confirm if your network is running gigabit connection? If you will directly connect your ReadyNAS to a PC via gigabit ethernet, are you having the same freezing or lockup problem?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 48 of 93
mbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Yes both my readynas units are connected with active-backup bonding to two gigabit ports, one in each of my two cisco 3750 gigabit switches.

I have not tried connecting my pc directly to it. So you want me to test direct pc connection with jumbo frames?

It will take at least a few days before I can be certain if there is any difference.

Regards

Magnus

Message 49 of 93
mbo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I misstyped in my initial email, I have 104 not 102 units.

Regards

Magnus

Message 50 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements