× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: rn312 bricked after firmware upgrade

BillyNar
Initiate

rn312 bricked after firmware upgrade

sed

Just started working with this unit.  It was running at 6.2.4.  When I accesed the admin menu, it prompted to upgrade the firmware to 6.9.3 and I accepted.  Since then it goes through the following cycle:

Power up and check with Raidar until it shows System starting up.

After that keep checking raidar and it shows status upgrading. 

Active light stays green,  but eventually the device is no longer found by Raidar and less than a minute after that the Act light goes out and the power light just continues to flash.

From that point on, nothing.  I tried the boot menu with an os-install boot, but no luck there as well.

We're at a point where we need to swap in larger drives, but would like to have everything working properly before we do.  If needed we can start from scratch with the larger drives, the only data on it is backup of existing machines with minimal need for recovery of deleted files.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @BillyNar , I would go as follows

(1) With the nas shutdown remove the disks, but keep in mind, which one came from which bay

(2) Find a single blank (not partitioned at all) sparedisk and insert it into the nas

(3) Boot (hopefully successful), do a setup from scratch and upgrade to the most recent level you want to apply (6.9.5 is long-term support; 6.10.0 is stable)

(4) Decide, whether you want to continue with the larger disks or reinsert those you removed in step (1)

(5) Continue as necessary

In case step (3) fails, with the nas shutdown remove the single spare disk and (re-)insert the disks removed in step (1) into the same bays they came from to get back to the status quo ante. In this (sad) case, sorry for misguiding you.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @BillyNar , I would go as follows

(1) With the nas shutdown remove the disks, but keep in mind, which one came from which bay

(2) Find a single blank (not partitioned at all) sparedisk and insert it into the nas

(3) Boot (hopefully successful), do a setup from scratch and upgrade to the most recent level you want to apply (6.9.5 is long-term support; 6.10.0 is stable)

(4) Decide, whether you want to continue with the larger disks or reinsert those you removed in step (1)

(5) Continue as necessary

In case step (3) fails, with the nas shutdown remove the single spare disk and (re-)insert the disks removed in step (1) into the same bays they came from to get back to the status quo ante. In this (sad) case, sorry for misguiding you.

Good luck with fixing and kind regards

Message 2 of 3
BillyNar
Initiate

Thanks.  Was able to get the firmware up to 9.6.5 and running OK on the new larger disks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements