× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rsync fails to copy directory timestamp (solved)

mpa-ken
Aspirant

rsync fails to copy directory timestamp (solved)

[Posting in case others run into this problem.]

I'm replacing a Windows box with a ReadyNAS 2304 (not available in the Model selection list above). I have an rsyncd server set up on the Windows box and am pulling the old shares from the Windows box using rsync in a secure shell login on the ReadyNAS.

My initial attempt copied the data just fine, but the directory timestamps were set to the time of the directory creation, not the times on the Windows box. That means a subsequent rsync would pull the directory metadata a second time (and still not set the timestamp on the target directory). I'm running rsync verbose and it would take a long time to list all the directories.

I discovered it was because I was using the traditional server::share syntax to refer to my Windows box. I changed to using the rsync://server/share URL syntax and that caused rsync to set the proper directory timestamps. Subsequent rsyncs were silent (except for the summary). Only real changes are being listed. (I haven't done the switchover yet, so the old box is still seeing changes, and now they're not buried in bogus directory names that aren't changing.)

Here's the command that works:

rsync -av rsync://kserver/C/public/ /kserver/public/

Here's the thread that gave me the hint:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/rsync-permissions-update-every-run/...

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mpa-ken
Aspirant

Re: rsync fails to copy directory timestamp (solved)

I use BackupPC 4 on my CentOS 7 box (Linux respin of RHEL 7) to back up my workstations. It comes with a custom build of Cygwin rsync and instructions on how to repackage it if you want to deploy with a different config file. You can find a packaged release in the cygwin-rsyncd project here: https://github.com/backuppc

As an aside, BackupPC would make a good "app" to supply for a ReadyNAS. A turnkey BackupPC system would be pretty nice for non-technical small offices.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

What rsync server are you using on the Windows box?  I've tried a couple and had problems with them.  I don't really need to do it for myself, it was just a test, but it would be nice to be able to make a suggestion to others who do.

Message 2 of 3
mpa-ken
Aspirant

I use BackupPC 4 on my CentOS 7 box (Linux respin of RHEL 7) to back up my workstations. It comes with a custom build of Cygwin rsync and instructions on how to repackage it if you want to deploy with a different config file. You can find a packaged release in the cygwin-rsyncd project here: https://github.com/backuppc

As an aside, BackupPC would make a good "app" to supply for a ReadyNAS. A turnkey BackupPC system would be pretty nice for non-technical small offices.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements