× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rsync questions

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

rsync questions

I'm trying to backup some stuff from my mac to NAS using rsync. I have rsync command that does the job, but now I want to secure it somehow. Readynas has a way to impose user authentication on a share enabled for rsync. I tried that and it works, but I'm not sure how to provide the password from the mac side in an automated script.

Is this the best way to secure rsync? I've read that people reccomend sending rsync over ssh, but that is fairly involved and I'm not even sure how easy that would be to setup on the readynas. I don't plan to open any ports outside my router for this, will only use rsync inside the LAN I guess.

Anyway, suggestions?

Also, I notice that if I sun rsync without -o, then the files are created on the NAS owned by root. if I use -o, then they are set to the uid of the mac user running rsync. Supposedly its able to use the "user name" instead of the uid. So I have a user "foo" on both machines, but unfortunately they have different UID's. I was hoping rsync would use the NAS's matching username and uid, but instead with -o it pulls in the uid from the mac.

so, how can I force rsync to use maybe the owner I am logging into rsync with for saving the files by that owner?
Message 1 of 2
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Re: rsync questions

Well I found a few things out, but leads to more questions.

for one thing I tried doing rsync over AFP and NFS instead of going to rsyncd daemon. That created all the backup files with more usable owner permissions. However that method took 10x longer to complete. one upside is that I think resource forks and such from the Mac are probably handled better that way.

I looked into rysncd.conf file. On ReadyNas the config file for rsyncd deamon is

/etc/frontview/rsync/Shares.conf

If I change the uid inside that file to the readynas username I want, the owner permissions get set the way I want! Yay. But the only downside is that this file gets completely overwritten by frontview if anything about rsyncd configuration is changed from frontview.

So... I'm still stuck with two basic questions

1. What is the best way to force authentication or security for rsync to readynas

2. How can I make sure the files are written on the readynas as a user of my choice, not root, and not the uid from the sender

3. What's the best solution for backing up resource forks too
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements