× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

sanity check for NV+ > Pro 6 migration

ferg1
Guide

sanity check for NV+ > Pro 6 migration

Hi all,

I'm intending to migrate my data from a NV+ with 4 x 1.5 TB SAMSUNG HD154UI disc to a not yet purchased ReadyNas pro 6 (diskless) as follows. Note the machine is used as a Time Machine backup for 4 xMacs, a rsync backup for two Linux boxes and a music repository for Squeezebox.

(1) purchase two x 1.5 TB discs to go in the Pro
(2) create a raidx2 volume (is this raid1 at this stage).
(3) use the 1.5TB space to move over some of my more important data using rsync over ssh
(4) once done, yank out a disc from the NV+ and add it into the Pro. Wait for the expansion to complete. I should have about 3TB at this point I think.
(5) rsync over SSH the rest of the data from the NV+ to the Pro 6.
(6) once done move over the other discs one by one

I realise that at step 4 I've lost redundancy. But if I lost that data I would not be too concerned.

Any suggestions/tips etc.?

Thanks
Ferg
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: sanity check for NV+ > Pro 6 migration

3) Unless doing this over the net or a network where you suspect people are going to try to hack in and intercept your data as its transferred simply use Rsync. No need for Rsync over SSH. Rsync over SSH will slow things a lot. In fact I'd use NFS for the first full backup then change the backup job properties to use Rsync and run the backup job again to verify that the data was backed up successfully.
4) When you do this you may wish to hook the drive up to a PC and delete the partitions on it before hot-adding (add while NAS is on) it to the Pro. Personally I reckon it'd be better to get all new drives for the Pro 6 and use the NV+ as a backup NAS.
5 and 6) fine (see nots above).

When I moved from an NV+ to an Ultra I also looked into moving the Time Machine backups. When you setup Time Machine did you follow the guide here?: http://www.readynas.com/TimeMachine
Message 2 of 7
PapaBear1
Guide

ferg - I am sure you are aware those drives are not on the HCL for either the NV+ or the Pro 6.
Message 3 of 7
ferg1
Guide

PapaBear wrote:
ferg - I am sure you are aware those drives are not on the HCL for either the NV+ or the Pro 6.

Yes I am thanks.

At the time I added them there was only a single 1.5TB drive on the list. Actually I did RMA one of those Samsung drives and replace it with the supported Seagate.

Incidentally are there any other 1.5TB drives on the list at the moment? The Seagate one seems hard to purchase now.

I guess there's no way I can use a 2TB drive and still expand the volume with the 4 x 1.5TB drives is there?

Cheers
Ferg
Message 4 of 7
ferg1
Guide

mdgm wrote:
3) Unless doing this over the net or a network where you suspect people are going to try to hack in and intercept your data as its transferred simply use Rsync. No need for Rsync over SSH. Rsync over SSH will slow things a lot. In fact I'd use NFS for the first full backup then change the backup job properties to use Rsync and run the backup job again to verify that the data was backed up successfully.

Would that preserve the permissions of the files?

mdgm wrote:
4) When you do this you may wish to hook the drive up to a PC and delete the partitions on it before hot-adding (add while NAS is on) it to the Pro. Personally I reckon it'd be better to get all new drives for the Pro 6 and use the NV+ as a backup NAS.
5 and 6) fine (see nots above).

Ok thanks. I'll do that. The machine is just a backup machine, so I'm not too bothered about keeping backups. Also the machine has not got the horsepower to do a FS Check because of the numerous small files of the incremental backup. (two years without a FS Check really makes me feel worried!).

I was trying to future proof myself a little by getting the fastest NAS I can afford, hence saving money on drives. But It's worth looking at the prices of a few 2TB drives, so thanks for that.

mdgm wrote:
When I moved from an NV+ to an Ultra I also looked into moving the Time Machine backups. When you setup Time Machine did you follow the guide here?: http://www.readynas.com/TimeMachine

Three of the Macs backup using the proper Time Machine Readynas way. However, one uses the first method.
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ferg wrote:

Would that preserve the permissions of the files?

Provided both NAS units are configured correctly, yes. You'll need the same UIDs and GIDs for your users and groups respectively on the Pro6 as you had on the NV+.
ferg wrote:

Three of the Macs backup using the proper Time Machine Readynas way. However, one uses the first method.

Ah. So the old method generated one could be migrated like an ordinary share, but the others will require more work.
Message 6 of 7
ferg1
Guide

The old method Time Machine is the most important, so that's lucky 🙂

I've decided to get four 2TB discs for the new machine instead now (ST2000DL003). I'll just sell on the rest when I've moved it all across.

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Ferg
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements