× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

snapshots and backups

Comdiv1
Tutor

snapshots and backups

backing up my ready nas volume to a usb HDD and all looking good.

I am also backing up to an old duo nas but only the shares that i require just incase i need to repoint the shares in the future.

on looking at these backup destinations i dont see the snapshots from the source 102 included.

looked for hiden folders and such... but still cant see anything. checked documentation and cant see anything covering it.

is there something else i have to do or is this a service only coverd on the 102 box alone.

pointers for my education appreciated..

Model: ReadyNAS-1100|ReadyNAS 1100
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: snapshots and backups

If you were able to back up the BTRFS snapshots to your Duo, each snapshot would take the same amount of storage as the original share.  There simply isn't enough space to do this.

So yes, your understanding is correct.  

The new ReadyDR backup method will allow snapshot backup, but that will require you to use two business class OS 6 NAS.  That's not available yet (it is a 6.6.0 feature, currently in beta).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

They are BTRFS snapshots.

Whilst a USB disk with BTRFS on it technically could have snapshots on it we don't support that.

Message 2 of 5
Comdiv1
Tutor

so, if i need to restore from the last full backup, back to my 102 readynas, I will have lost all the old snapshot versions and only have a copy of the files current from the last full backup, because the,"make accessable snapshot folder" is not availabe and included in backups.

Is my understanding correct.

thanks again

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

If you were able to back up the BTRFS snapshots to your Duo, each snapshot would take the same amount of storage as the original share.  There simply isn't enough space to do this.

So yes, your understanding is correct.  

The new ReadyDR backup method will allow snapshot backup, but that will require you to use two business class OS 6 NAS.  That's not available yet (it is a 6.6.0 feature, currently in beta).

Message 4 of 5
Comdiv1
Tutor

Great, thats what i thought.. Just wanted to be sure i wasnt missing something.

Will keep my eye out for the up and coming business class ReadyDR..

thanks for the BTRFS update... was a good read.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements