× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

spare disk and disk failure problem

MarcusKinch
Aspirant

spare disk and disk failure problem

Hi,

Problem is that after replacing a non-failing but repeatedly warned about disk the filesystem does not come up again.

1. Ran into these messages in the logs: Detected increasing uncorrectable errors[134] on disk 3 [WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0, WD-WMC1T0225936]. This often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

2. As the NAS can handle 6 disks but only 4 where used I bought and inserted a new disk into bay 5 (1-4 being used already). This meant that I now had 5x3TB from the original 2x3TB config. Logs say: New disk detected. If multiple disks have been added, they will be processed one at a time. Please do not remove any added disk(s) during this time. [Disk 5]
Log said: Volume expansion or migration started. Do not interrupt the system during this time. When finished, email notification will be sent to the alert contact list.

3. Afters some time the new disk 5 came up as "spare" in the Health-view in the web-gui. I felt all was good.
Log said: The on-line filesystem consistency check has started for Volume C.
Log said: The on-line filesystem consistency check completed without errors for Volume C.

4. The NAS later starting behaving sluggishly, very slow performance and when looking in the web-gui it was giving an explanation I can't quite remember but it contained a percentage. That percentage moved from about 19% to about 21% after a week.

5. I removed some old files on the NAS trying to free up space, hoping that the response would be better. After waiting some more days/weeks and the NAS grinding to a halt totally yesterday, no response what so ever I did a hard restart of the NAS using the power button on the case.

6. When the NAS came online again I couldn't mount the file-system.

7. I then swapped the suspected disk 3 to a new disk.
Log said: Data volume will be rebuilt with disk 3.
Log said: Continuing with volume expansion or migration. Do not interrupt the system during this time. When complete, email notification will be sent to the alert contact list.

So, currently I can't access my data...

The number 5 disk still is marked as spare in the healthy-view and all the other 4 have status OK.
Anybody out there that can have a look at the logs below and give me any advice on how to move forward?
I believe the disks to be compatible and the latest firmware are installed.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: spare disk and disk failure problem

What firmware are you running?

@MarcusKinch wrote:

2. As the NAS can handle 6 disks but only 4 where used I bought and inserted a new disk into bay 5 (1-4 being used already). 

What you should have done here is remove disk 3, and replace it with the new disk.

@MarcusKinch wrote:

Log said: Continuing with volume expansion or migration. Do not interrupt the system during this time. When complete, email notification will be sent to the alert contact list.

So, currently I can't access my data...

You should be able to access it, though it would be sluggish.  Did you try?  

Message 2 of 6
MarcusKinch
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm currently on Firmware 4.2.31. Since the NAS felt all was good apart from access to the file and nothing had happened (as far as I could see) on log level since 13:02:37 I restarted the NAS through the web-gui yesterday evening. Same result though, unable to access after reboot.

Log after restart says:Volume scan failed to run properly.

Log after restart says:The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. media itunesMusic Dropbox backup

/Marcus

expansion.log ends with this:

Continue to do migration
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sda6: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sda6 has no superblock - assembly aborted
Failed!!!

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your backup up to date?

Message 4 of 6
MarcusKinch
Aspirant

Rearding back-up, partly. All the really important files (family photos) are, but most other media files are not as I don't have access any other large storage area, hence the raid setup with redunance and an hot spare. I know this is not the very best way but that's the financial reality. So, I would really like to get the volume running again, fingers crossed.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you may wish to contact support. Support does sell data recovery services.

It's possible that disk cloning may be needed (there are software tools designed for attempting to clone failing disks).

The cost of backups isn't so bad when you compare it with data recovery costs and consider that data recovery may be unsuccessful.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements