× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

sparsebundle problem-unable to mount - OSStatus error -6602

Northwinds
Aspirant

sparsebundle problem-unable to mount - OSStatus error -6602

Okay - Hi all,
A few weeks ago my Timemachine backup stopped working and i couldn't access the other files on my ReadyNAS Duo either.
Long story short, disk 1 had failed. Managed to get the mirrored data from disk 2 synced back to a new disc 1 today so all good there.

Only problem is that I can't get TM working again.
At first it just kept going through the preparing phase, so I stopped that and noticed that in the frontview options the TM settings had the capacity set to 0GB of (max 190)

So I got to thinking that maybe old sparsebundle wasn't being recognized for some reason and this was confusing things.
To be honest, all the data and other files on the ReadyNAS were the really important stuff and I don't mind deleting the TM backup of the imac and running a fresh one.

However, that isn't proving easy......
Logging in as admin via afp or cifs I can see an iMac_001ff$$$$$.sparsebundle but in an "admin" directory whereas the "c" directory I can see under cifs has no TM sparsebundle and i can't seem to delete the one in "admin"

I'm really at a loss to understand it - plus, when I try to get TM to connect using user "ReadyNAS" and the relevant password I keep getting "Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -6602.)"

I'd really just like to get this back up running so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm up for trying some basic ssh as well if anyone can talk me through it.

Many thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Re: sparsebundle problem-unable to mount - OSStatus error -6

Can anyone please lead me through checking the contents (via ssh - for example) so I can report back the structure and maybe figure out how to free the space and reset the TM backups?
Thanks in advance!
Message 2 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you're using a non-supported method of using Time Machine storing it on your "admin" home share?
Message 3 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Not to my knowledge - I actually have no idea how it got on there - I'm presuming I have somehow ended up with 2 separate sparsebundles although I'm unsure how to locate the other?
What I really want to do is get rid of both and start again - the question is how?
Thanks in advance!
Message 4 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

I should add that although connecting to server through finder works with smb I am now unable to connect via afp which now tells me "The operation could not be completed because one or more required items could not be found. (Error code -43)"
Message 5 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

.timemachine is a hidden share. If you login to "smb://ip.address.of.nas/c/.timemachine" as "admin" (e.g. via Finder > Go > Connect to server) you can see the sparsebundle to delete.

If you are comfortable with SSH then you may wish to not bother with CIFS, as SSH would be much faster:

Change the working directory and check for the sparsebundles

cd /c/.timemachine
ls -la

Then do e.g.

rm -rf *.sparsebundle

to delete all the sparsebundles.

If a sparsebundle has ended up in the admin home share you may need to change the working directory to the admin home share and delete the sparsebundle there as well.
Message 6 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Here's another thing:
I just logged back in to the ReadyNAS via AFP but using admin as the user again and checked the size of the sparsebundle there which comes back as 551.29GB which is probably about right - both drives in the DUO are 1.5TB (actually more like 1.36TB).
The rest of the drive space I use for current and ongoing work data.
Now there is another 199GB left of space and it seems that this is what TM in frontview is trying to use to write a new sparsebundle to but is failing but won't let me change the capacity from 0 to the 190GB max it shows.
However if I actually turn on TM on the mac and choose change disc I have several options including admin which tells me I have 199 GB space to set it up in.
Now for me the best thing would have been just to set it back to the sparsebundle from before but for some reason I can't get TM to connect with this?!!??
If I try running TM from the mac logged in as admin then it goes through the "preparing" stage for ages but now it suddenly seems to be working!!!!

It's still got a way to go but I'll report back when/if it completes.
The only thing is why is setup like this and can I change it to work as it should? - as in being in the correct folder?
As I've mentioned, on the imac it's logged into the DUO via TM as admin and is effectively writing to a folder called admin, however in frontview the username which I can't change (under Backup>Time Machine) is ReadyNAS which I can't seem to enable properly, as it won't let me set anything but 0GB of a max 190 Capacity.

Also under CIFS I can see an iMac.sparsebundle folder that when i click on I get the message "The operation cannot be completed beacause the original item for "iMac.sparsebundle" cannot be found."

Okay, it works, in a sense, but not how it should, which worries me.

Any clues as to how I transfer this admin TM backup to a RedyNAS signed in directory?

Thanks.
Message 7 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Thanks for your response mdgm!
With your advice and a couple of pointers from a friend much better versed in SSH I have managed to remove the old sparsebundles completely and freed that space up on my DUO drives to start a new TimeMachine backup.

However, unfortunately after I set up the the new TM backup in frontview and click apply, when i go to TimeMachine settings on the mac and set the ReadyNAS as the backup destination then enter user ReadyNAS and the password, it again takes me to an error of "Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -6602.)"

Any ideas please? I feel like I'm so close to getting this sorted, but.......

Many thanks in advance!
Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you went to Backup > Time Machine and were able to set the quota you wanted in Frontview?

What version of RAIDiator are you running?

What version of Mac OS X?

Could you go to the Keychain and delete all the entries relevant to the NAS and then reboot your Mac?

It could also be a good idea to reboot the NAS as well.
Message 9 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm

setting quota in frontview works ok now that I've cleared the old spasrsebundle.

Radiator is 4.1.7

Mac OSX is 10.5.8

Sorry, but how do I delete the keychain?

I have rebooted both the mac and the Duo but still the same 😞

Thanks.
Message 10 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a static IP address assigned to the ReadyNAS (e.g. in the settings for your router)? If not, I would assign one.

I would also check /c/.timemachine and if there's a sparsebundle there remove it.

Regarding the keychain, on your Mac go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access and delete the keychain entries for the NAS there, then reboot the Mac again.

Do you have a Power PC Mac? Or is there some other reason you're still using Leopard?

Attempt to do Time Machine backups again and see if it works.
Message 11 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this but The DUO is actually my sister's - as is the mac - and I'm only up here once or twice a week.

To answer your questions:
It is a static IP for the DUO
There is no sparsebundle anywhere however when I log on via smb through finder there is a folder called iMac.sparsebundle - it cannot however be mounted - in fact the error message is"The operation cannot be completed because the original item for iMac.sparsebundle cannot be found"
In addition it can't be seen when I go in via SSH either.

I tried resetting the Keychain and rebooted - nothing different though.

The machine is an intel iMac - 3.06GHz with 4GB RAM.

It's still on 10.5.8 as, being my sister's, she really has no need of the paid upgrade as yet.

In addition, I'm noticing that when I enable Timemachine in frontview it still has the 0GB of Max 741GB Capacity showing, even after i change it an apply, hitting refresh takes it back to 0GB again.

So once again I'm a bit stuck - any other ideas?

Many thanks.

mdgm wrote:
Do you have a static IP address assigned to the ReadyNAS (e.g. in the settings for your router)? If not, I would assign one.

I would also check /c/.timemachine and if there's a sparsebundle there remove it.

Regarding the keychain, on your Mac go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access and delete the keychain entries for the NAS there, then reboot the Mac again.

Do you have a Power PC Mac? Or is there some other reason you're still using Leopard?

Attempt to do Time Machine backups again and see if it works.
Sorry for taking so long to get back on this but The DUO is actually my sister's - as is the mac - and I'm only up here once or twice a week.
Message 12 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Northwinds wrote:
when I log on via smb through finder there is a folder called iMac.sparsebundle

What share do you login to via AFP.
Northwinds wrote:

it cannot however be mounted - in fact the error message is"The operation cannot be completed because the original item for iMac.sparsebundle cannot be found"

You can't mount a sparsebundle over CIFS, only AFP. This may not be the problem here.
Northwinds wrote:

In addition it can't be seen when I go in via SSH either.

It will be there, you just don't know the path. It may be somewhere like /c/home/admin. If you look in the /etc/passwd file you will see the location of the home share for the "admin" user (If that's the share in which the sparsebundle is stored).

Northwinds wrote:

In addition, I'm noticing that when I enable Timemachine in frontview it still has the 0GB of Max 741GB Capacity showing, even after i change it an apply, hitting refresh takes it back to 0GB again.

You can try clearing the web browser cache (e.g. Safari > Empty Cache). Also I have some useful commands giving info regarding Time Machine on the ReadyNAS listed here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42033&p=239030

The repquota command will tell you the quota for the ReadyNAS Time Machine user and conclusively tell you if it's set to what you want it. On one platform you need to use grep "text" for the code after the "|" separator on that line and on the other one you need to not use quotes.
Message 13 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

What share do you login to via AFP. - sorry, not sure I understand the question?

Tried looking everywhere I could find via ssh but still couldn't find it.

Tried clearing the Safari cache and still no joy.

Finally I tried a bunch of the commands you listed - thanks for those.
But to my newbie eye i couldn't make much useful sense of the results.
Perhaps you could have a look and maybe point me in the right direction?

After logging in:

Linux nas-07-C5-4C 2.6.17.8ReadyNAS #1 Tue Jun 9 13:59:28 PDT 2009 padre unknown
nas-07-C5-4C:~# repquota -as | grep limits\|User\|ReadyNAS
Block limits File limits
User used soft hard grace used soft hard grace
nas-07-C5-4C:~# cat /etc/passwd | grep ReadyNAS
ReadyNAS:$1$qMF/r9E7$StjNoDppo/E.2zt6pHAjH1:96:65534::/var/lib/timemachine:/bin/true
nas-07-C5-4C:~# ls -la /c/.timemachine
ls: /c/.timemachine: No such file or directory
nas-07-C5-4C:~# ls -la /var/lib/timemachine
total 48
dr-x------ 2 ReadyNAS root 16384 Nov 19 2010 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 16384 Nov 19 2010 ..
-r-------- 1 ReadyNAS root 66 Feb 2 2010 .AppleVolumes
nas-07-C5-4C:~# cat /var/lib/timemachine/.AppleVolumes
/c/.timemachine ReadyNAS cnidscheme:dbd allow:ReadyNAS options:tm
nas-07-C5-4C:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 1.9G 451M 1.4G 23% /
tmpfs 16k 0 16k 0% /USB
/dev/c/c 1.4T 640G 750G 47% /c
/c/media 1.4T 640G 750G 47% /home/ftp/media
nas-07-C5-4C:~# cat /etc/avahi/services/timemachine.service
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<service-group>
<name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
<service>
<type>_adisk._tcp</type>
<port>9</port>
<txt-record>sys=waMA=C0:3F:0E:09:C8:18</txt-record>
<txt-record>dk0=adVF=0x83,adVN=ReadyNAS,adVU=25dc38af-9ed0-47bf-802a-83791aa4d14b</txt-record>
</service>
</service-group>
nas-07-C5-4C:~#

Hope this makes some sense to you?

Many thanks again in advance.
Message 14 of 16
Northwinds
Aspirant

Anything make any sense here?
Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Northwinds wrote:

nas-07-C5-4C:~# repquota -as | grep limits\|User\|ReadyNAS
Block limits File limits
User used soft hard grace used soft hard grace

Ah, I think you need to use

nas-07-C5-4C:~# repquota -as | grep "limits\|User\|ReadyNAS"

Northwinds wrote:

nas-07-C5-4C:~# cat /etc/passwd | grep ReadyNAS

Please don't publish the output of this line publicly.
Northwinds wrote:

nas-07-C5-4C:~# ls -la /c/.timemachine
ls: /c/.timemachine: No such file or directory

O.K. So you're not using the supported method.
Northwinds wrote:

<txt-record>sys=waMA=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX</txt-record>
</service-group>

I don't think I'd post this line either.
Northwinds wrote:

Hope this makes some sense to you?

Yes. Please try the repquota command again using the quotes this time.

Please also look for the sparsebundle, perhaps look under /c/home/admin and see if you can find the sparsebundle there.

If so, try doing

du -csh /c/home/admin * and post the line that mentions your sparsebundle.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements