× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

switch drive from a x86 readyNas to an ARMv7 (like RN102)

arnomc
Aspirant

switch drive from a x86 readyNas to an ARMv7 (like RN102)

I am happy with my 2 bay atom readyNAS under 6.2.2, but I am considering buying for cheap a RN102 for 2 reasons :
1) could use it for remote backup my main NAS
2) could buy it in case of hardware failure and would like to know if that could be of some use :
So here are my (dumb) questions :
IF I unplug drives from a x86 and put them into a RN102, I am wondering that the image of system is compiled differently so it's not going to boot as simply as this, isn't it ? BUT is there a way to reinstall a RN OS6 and then boot and use directly my data ? (maybe with the use of a reconfig file or manually reconfiguration of shares..).
If all those ideas are impossible to achieve without loosing all the data, then I might considering using an additional RN102 only for remote backup !

Thanks by anticipation for your explanations
Message 1 of 9
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: switch drive from a x86 readyNas to an ARMv7 (like RN102

arnomc wrote:
IF I unplug drives from a x86 and put them into a RN102, I am wondering that the image of system is compiled differently so it's not going to boot as simply as this, isn't it ? BUT is there a way to reinstall a RN OS6 and then boot and use directly my data ? (maybe with the use of a reconfig file or manually reconfiguration of shares..).
If all those ideas are impossible to achieve without loosing all the data, then I might considering using an additional RN102 only for remote backup !

Its not advisable to just pull-out your exisitng drives from your x86 NAS then simply insert it to the RN102. It would be best if you back up the data from your x86 NAS to an external drive or free space on your PC/laptop. Then, if ever you have the RN102 in hand, you may transfer the backed up data to it.

Check this link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... os6-nas%3F
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If being able to migrate your disks across is important to you, you are far better off getting e.g. a RN312, than getting a RN102.
Message 3 of 9
arnomc
Aspirant

Thanks for your input, but the page, you linked, is about different operating system. In my case I was considering 2 architecture but on the same version of the OS : OS 6 on a Ultra (x86) to another OS 6 RN102 (marvell 370 ARM). Oh and both are only capable of RAID1.

EDIT : thanks your answer, mdgm ! That's definitively not the same price 🙂 (I saw an offer for 96€ for a RN102, shipping included).
Message 4 of 9
RX
Luminary
Luminary

@arnomc:

Check out and consider mdgm's better advised 😄
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Migration of disks from a x86_64 NAS running OS6 to an ARM NAS running OS6 should theoretically be possible but you would require remote assistance from support to format the OS partition. It's not something we would recommend.
Message 6 of 9
arnomc
Aspirant

Thanks for all your advices, mdgm !
Message 7 of 9
CharlesR
Guide

mdgm wrote:
Migration of disks from a x86_64 NAS running OS6 to an ARM NAS running OS6 should theoretically be possible but you would require remote assistance from support to format the OS partition. It's not something we would recommend.

Unless I'm mistaken I did this (as a test with a single drive) a while back without issue. I simply did a OS re-install when I booted the drive. Everything "looked fine" with my data being intact. Now I didn't keep using the drive for any period of time. So if there are any hidden issues I can't speak to such... nor recommend the procedure. 🙂 I also believe I took the drive back to x86 and again it was fine and dandy. The units were Pro 2/4 and RN102/4. Can't remember if they were 2 or 4 bay units.
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We use a different filesystem for the OS partition. While both platforms can use both filesystems they are hardcoded to expect the filesystem we chose.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements