× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: tivo premiere and readynas transcoding

luckyinpa
Aspirant

tivo premiere and readynas transcoding

I just discovered readynas and have a question. i was thinking of geting the 422 model.  I’m aware that you can take shows from tivo premiere and archive to NAS and then put them back on tivo. But can you take generic video files like avi/mkv from your computer and put them on the NAS then pull them to the tivo and they will be transcoded to the format so the premiere can play them? Currently I use pytivo from my laptop to my premiere to do this but using readynas would be a great alternative to this.

i could them put all my video files on NAS and when i want to watch, the tivo could pull them in

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @luckyinpa

Welcome to the Community!

This thread might help you as well https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/Does-RN42200-100NES-support-media-streaming/m-p/163...

You can use Plex Media server or ReadyDLNA or TiVo. Though TiVo will play the videos it sent to the NAS, not really sure if it can play saved videos but Plex and DLNA will.

These apps/features will be able to play your media to your compliant devices

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 7
luckyinpa
Aspirant

the readydlna seems to be what i was looking for. id love to move all my videos to a NAS then just use my tivo premiere to pull them and have the NAS transcode just like pytivo does for me now from my laptop.

would like to free up laptop space as well. 

i'm hoping someone on the forum has a tivo premiere and can report theyve done this as i've read about some issues with netgear and tivos but i believe they were the newer ones like bolt. not my old premiere. 

Message 3 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @luckyinpa

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
luckyinpa
Aspirant

im having a problem on my new nas 422. i made a new folder called plex and even installed plex of course. i also made a folder called tivo which i think tivo can back up into but thats not my concern right now.

i put tv shows in a few of the folders  (just to be sure) and the folders all show up on tivo but none of the files in the folders show up. i thought maybe the naming was the issue so i renamed the one file david.mp4 which i'm assuming would be considered valid by tivo and/or plex since no special characters like sometimes files have. also the file plays thru plex on the web interface

i admit i have NO clue how any of this works between plex and tivo and i'm grasping at straws and looking at the manual there is really no documentation about this. but since the folders are visible on tivo i think i did most of this right. any idea why i cannot see any files?

in each folder i did click on the dlna option and its green if that matters

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@luckyinpa wrote:

in each folder i did click on the dlna option and its green if that matters

Plex is not the same as ReadyDLNA, so clicking that option will have no effect on Plex.  

I don't have a Tivo, so I don't think I can help much. But I do know that it's not enough to just install plex - you also need to install a plex app for Tivo.  There's more information here: https://support.tivo.com/articles/App_Information/Plex-App-Information

You might find it easier to troubleshoot this by installing the plex server on a PC - then adjust the NAS setup after you've figured it all out.

Message 6 of 7
luckyinpa
Aspirant

thanks for the link to tivo. this is the point i'm at:

1. tivo has archived some of the shows it has recorded, onto the NAS. however it has not archived them all. for instance if i have 3 recordings of the news, it only archived 1. any idea why?

2. in the past i used tivo to pull shows from my laptop and it transcodes with pytivo. those shows that reside on the tivo are NOT archived back to NAS. so somehow they are excluded. of course i know i have the source until i delete it manually but still i'm curious why it doesnt archive. 

3. i still cannot get on tivo and go to the NAS folder and see any of my downloaded shows from my laptop that i transfered to the NAS. this is critically important to me and one of the goals of getting NAS

4. i installed the plex app on tivo. the interface stinks compared to tivo and i dont like the startup time of the app and the inability to see the shows along with my tivo list. the FF and rewind features are very clunky. BUT, i was able to put even MKV files in the plex/tivo library and they were able to be played thru tivo but using the plex interface/app. I dont know if i can get used to that way of looking at my shows since i prefer direct tivo access but if i cannot figure out how to import shows to tivo directly, i guess i'm stuck. i wanted to move all movies and shows over to NAS to take the load off my laptop.

4a: while the goal was using plex to transcode to tivo and using the tivo interface, not plex app, id consider manually using anyvideo converter to convert to tivo format  then putting in the tivo folder on NAS IF i could get tivo to import that kind of file but i need help there since it wont even let me see the videos in the folders while viewing thru tivo

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements