× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: troubleshooting: RN316 very slow to view directories of files

jamminontoast
Aspirant

troubleshooting: RN316 very slow to view directories of files

To be frank; i've been using the home NAS for quite a few years and its basically a data storage box which backs up my files and media files for streaming. Works well for these sceniarios, however when i do try to connect to the NAS via AFP (via my MBPs) it is a dog to wait for the directories and files to load. I am not talking about 1-3 seconds, i am talking about up to 30seconds at times.

See picture.
(#1) on initial connection to the share file, this folder appears in 1-2sec
(#2) has approx 50 files/ folders - takes 5-10+ sec
(#3) Digging into level 3 - it can take 7-10+ sec
(#4) Digging into level 4 (approx 110 files) - can take 30+ seconds to load?
The rest is the actual utilisation of the readynas webview UI. Very little chatter on network (2 users)

As mentioned, i've used this to sync with BTSync (Resilio) and/ or dropbox as backup drive, then use offsite backup. Thus i really don't have a need to 'browse' through these directories from the NAS, i'd love to, however due to above issue, i never do...

The RN316 is 6bays with 4,2,2,4,2,2TB in RAID6 configuration and going through wireless - Netgear D8500 Nighthawk X8 AC5300.
Not too sure what is causing this?
[edit] - i have antivirus on NAS turned on, - turned that off, no real noticable diffeference
- MBP CPU utilisation is at approx 3%

Questions:
1. Any tips to help troubleshoot this or find the root cause?
2. Would it make a REAL difference if i move from RAID6 to RAID10 (i googled this - however would be a project just for migration)

Note: When using synchronisation tools such as Bit Torrent Sync (Resilio) or sychronising files across the LAN, i can still get speeds up to 25-40MB/s and this may include syncing lots (i mean hundred of thousands small files) at any time and or large movie video files.
TIA
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is the NAS running?

Are you trying the directory browsing test over ethernet or over wifi?

Message 2 of 10
jamminontoast
Aspirant

Firmware is 6.9.1 (generally i update to the latest when told)

Browsing the directory is via WIFI...

i have 'invested' in the latest WIFI tech so i would have 'hope' that at least get a decent speed, even if my MBPs (2014) it uses "802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible" - however that browsing directory speed is very poor....

I'd prefer NEVER to cable my apartment.

Tried switching off anti-virus. Don't know if taking on the mamoth task to change from RAID6 to RAID10 will make any substantial difference in this regard...

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@jamminontoast wrote:

I'd prefer NEVER to cable my apartment.

Understood, but doing a test with ethernet is the best way to rule out the wifi network.   One big issue (especially in an apartment building) is WiFi interference from your neighbors - who are sharing the same radio spectrum you are using.  Also there can be interference from microwave ovens, nearby elevators, etc.

@jamminontoast wrote:

Tried switching off anti-virus. Don't know if taking on the mamoth task to change from RAID6 to RAID10 will make any substantial difference in this regard...

I don't think it will.  One thing that will help is using the new SSD metadata tiering feature.  That requires at least on free slot in the NAS for the SSD.

Message 4 of 10
jamminontoast
Aspirant

Thanks guys: the router is wired to the NAS, however the computers are all wireless. The MBP are generally ~16ft away - clear signal directly without walls or interference.

i followed your suggestions and there are some other thoughts.

1. Using the cable, i get somewhat (random?) responses. Some folders will pull up from 0- 3 seconds. Then i may decide to back out to the root and it takes 10s to open another.  i've loaded what my screen looks like here: http://bit.ly/2DDvjNX < apologies for the flickering...

2. Using my User account on MY owned 2x MBPs.... (2013 and latest MBP 2017) - same results.

3. Using a different user on a different MBP (same specs as mine) - they have no problems . Most folders pull up in 0-3 seconds.

4. Using my User account on the OTHER 2x MBPs.... the speed is relatively normal again... even browsing through folders with 100's of sub folders.

This looks to be a 'user' aka. (ME!!) error some where... both MY MBPs have been refreshed earlier with High Sierra along with the other MBPs. So i am baffled at why this is the case...

- 1. the only difference between my workstation and my partner's workstation is probably the amount of software i have on mine. Though most are shut off and spun up when required.

- 2. the other difference is that i have about 8 different share folders whereas i limit my partners to 2. Most of my shares are software documentation folders which runs into the (300GB + and millions of files). However the testing (as per the video) is done against our media drive.

i am competely lost.... ;(

[edit] - i've been reading up on RAID10 recently and should of went with that RAID setup instead of 6.... had done a few resyncs as of late and the speed does suck on transfers... anywhere from 1- 20MB/s transfer depending on size of files.

Message 5 of 10
jamminontoast
Aspirant

i will also add to this, i was previously using PATHFINDER software, which also allowed me to see invisible files - it took the mac/ or network extra processing time... though i switch completely to finder and results are not much better (a little bit).

Though my partner's machines, work fine...  using the same software is fine!  >stumped<

Message 6 of 10
jamminontoast
Aspirant

Post to show how much traffic is on how home network.... which is not much!

I did a big transfer just to show the speeds coming from the NAS to the workstation via wifi...

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@jamminontoast wrote:

clear signal directly without walls or interference. 

Extremely unlikely that there are no nearby wifi routers if you are in an apartment (and they will interfere some). Despite your resistance, I still recommend ruling out WiFi by doing a test with wired ethernet.  

Did you try turning on the "enhance MacOS" setting in system->settings->services->SMB?  

Since I'm not a Mac owner, I can't help you with the MBP side of things.

Message 8 of 10
jamminontoast
Aspirant

Thanks for all your help in this Stephen - much appreciated. 

Ref: the clear signal (or at least line of sight between computer and router) - no walls in between, both are sitting in the same room. Yes, can see other WIFI from nearby apartments but signal strength is full.

Re: Wired ethernet - tried that too from the last post per your suggestion and posted the video!

"1. Using the cable, i get somewhat (random?) responses. Some folders will pull up from 0- 3 seconds. Then i may decide to back out to the root and it takes 10s to open another.  i've loaded what my screen looks like here: http://bit.ly/2DDvjNX < apologies for the flickering..."

It works better than wireless, however would say that the response seemed a little random if you look at the video? Some folders open quicker than others. All these folders are media directories which doesn't actually contain that many files per folder.

The above intermittent type response was why i went ahead and tried it on different user accounts  and PCs.

If i was to do a logical assesssment on my results from 1-4.

1. It may be a MBP issue - where both my OWN MBP's have 'something' to cause this slow browsing or screen refresh.

2. It can't be a user account issue, since my user account seems to browse fine on the wife's MBP (using her login however access network via my user account)

Grant that my files probably account for 95% of the NAS

Yes, i've allowed SMB access (no difference). I am stumped....

Message 9 of 10
ctechs
Apprentice

I don't have any great suggestions except to stop using AFP and disable it on your ReadyNAS. It's been deprecated by Apple since 2013 and I have to assume it's going to get the axe at some point. Best to just use SMB at this point. Do you have a Windows or Linux machine to try out? If all is well there with file transfers, then this probably goes in the pantheon of reasons why we have stopped using Macs where we work: Too many weird issues when it comes to get working done. Wifi access to a fileserver is going to blow in an apartment setting too. I work from home and everything that can be is connected via Ethernet. Wifi is just too iffy when you have 50 other networks nearby.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements