× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ultra4 turns off immediately on s power up

minack
Aspirant

ultra4 turns off immediately on s power up

tton on my ultra 4 it powers on (blue light and drives spin up

it ten immediately powers off(within a few seconds fortunsately i still have most of my data(from a separate backup but no qorking chassis 😞

any ideas? i have chabged the psu and am well out of warranty & ultra4 is discontinued

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: ultra4 turns off immediately on s power up

I guess you could try a factory reset from the boot menu, which of course would destroy your data.

If the disks and file systems are fully intact, you can temporarily mount the data volume (read-only) in a new x86 OS 6 NAS (RN300 or above).  This does not require support's assistance, you can do it on your own:  https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86.  Then you could get your missing files, reuse your existing disks with the new NAS, and then restore the data from backup.  The RN420 series is the current equivalent to your ultra, though the RN500 and RN600 series are also worth a look.

If you are reasonably skilled with linux, and have access to a linux system, then it is possible to manually mount the NAS data volume.  Of course you do need to be able to attach the disks to that system somehow.

Message 2 of 7
minack
Aspirant

Thank you I have tried a Factory reset but it won’t stay on long enoughto factory reset but it won’t stay on long enough to get to the food menu to get to the food menu het to the boot menu!

I broadly have most of the data backed up elsewhere so not too worried about the erasing the disks
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Does it immediately shut down when you boot diskless?

Message 4 of 7
minack
Aspirant

Unfortunately yes it does i have tried using a usbb

recovery drive as well to try and get it up

My suspicion is a failed firmware update to os6 has caused this
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Ultra 4 (not Plus) is the slowest of the RAIDiator-x86 devices that can be upgraded to OS6.

I doubt the problem would be with the firmware update. I guess the internal flash could have failed or perhaps some other hardware issue.

What happens when you attempt to do USB Boot Recovery?

Message 6 of 7
TeknoJnky
Hero

Have you tried with a single spare blank disk drive ?

Historically in my experience, whenever a system will power up, then power off within a few seconds, its either

a) power supply or power wiring issue,  or

b) a ram/cpu/motherboard issue (ie hardware).

c) Or less likely for readynas, some kind of bios settings corruption.

(not readynas specific google search)

https://www.google.com/search?q=pre-bios+shutdown

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements