× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: unable to login through www [ReadyNas 104 10400]

xoworkscom
Aspirant

unable to login through www [ReadyNas 104 10400]

Hello,

I have following device:

- ReadyNas 104 (RN104)

- Operating with 6.0.X software (from what I recall)

And I have following problem:

- Can't IP access it:
This site can’t provide a secure connection
192.168.1.3 doesn't adhere to security standards.
ERR_SSL_SERVER_CERT_BAD_FORMAT

- earlier I was able to see the login page, but it didn't let me in, the pswd recovery thingy didnt allow me to send a reset, and the password that I used was not accepted (kept reloading the page to show me the login box again)

- now I'm still able to access it through Windows and copy forth and back things, and I can still access the admin login page from mobile browser. but. it repeats the problem with relogging the login page.

What is wrong, what could be damaged and what is the possible solution for this? I feel a little bit helpless, especially now, when I need to move to a new laptop. Thanks in advance for any help.

[System used: Windows 8.1]

Regards, Marcin

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

If you are still running 6.0.x then you should certainly upgrade the firmware - the current firmware is 6.8.1.  It would be a multi-step process for you, read through the information here on the steps: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Firmware-Release-Notes/ReadyNAS-OS-6-8-1-now-available/m-p...

Have you tried using Firefox as the browser?

Normally you will get a security exception when you use https, since the cert in the NAS is self-signed. However, ERR_SSL_SERVER_CERT_BAD_FORMAT is an unusual error - not one I've seen before.

Message 2 of 18
JohnMStudebaker
Aspirant

It appears google pushed through an update that removes the "continue anyway" option.  I've got the same issue on my system.  IE and Edge both still work.

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Chrome 61.0.3163.100 doesn't have this issue with my 6.8.1 ReadyNAS.  I get the security warning, but click-through is still available.

Message 4 of 18
xoworkscom
Aspirant

Ok, got this solved somewhat like this:

OS reinstall (turned out I had some later version than 6.0.x, I think it was 6.6.x), and used FF (IE also worked, Chrome didnt) to reenter the web app, with default login data (admin/password). Then updated the software to current. Anyway, getting the certificate problem, but FF manages to pass it, Chrome does not.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Marcin

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 5 of 18
OliveChicago
Aspirant

Anti-virus webfilter/SSL filter?

Message 6 of 18
Jojo90
Tutor

Same problem for me with the lastest release of Chrome.

Ce site ne peut pas fournir de connexion sécurisée

192.168.168.252 ne respecte pas les normes de sécurité.

Message 7 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Jojo90 wrote:

Same problem for me with the lastest release of Chrome.

Ce site ne peut pas fournir de connexion sécurisée

192.168.168.252 ne respecte pas les normes de sécurité.

Just another form of the usual warning for a self-signed certificate.  You should be able to click through it (look for an advanced control).

Message 8 of 18
Jojo90
Tutor

Unfortunately the lastest release of Google Chrome (PC) doesn't allow to continue anyway (like old release or Microsoft Edge)....
So I think that the solution is on side of Netgear and not on Google's side.
Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Jojo90 wrote:
Unfortunately the lastest release of Google Chrome (PC) doesn't allow to continue anyway (like old release or Microsoft Edge)....
So I think that the solution is on side of Netgear and not on Google's side.

I'm using Chrome 62.0.3202.75 64 bit on my windows 10 PC.  It connects to the web UI on my OS 6.9.0 systems as well as my older OS 4.x systems.

What version of Chrome are you running?

Message 10 of 18
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello StephenB

I'm using Chrome Version 62.0.3202.75 (Build officiel) (64 bits), on Windows 10 (64 bits, lastest Windows updates), connecting to my ReadyNAS104 Version 6.9.0 

Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

So we are running the same version of Chrome on Windows 10, and getting different results.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 18
Jojo90
Tutor

It's really strange...
I will look for the Internet Security options asap and come back to tell you if it changed something...
Message 13 of 18
niftienev
Initiate

Anybody fixed this yet?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 14 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

ERR_SSL_SERVER_CERT_BAD_FORMAT is not the normal error that you can click through.  But I don't believe it's the fault of the NAS, either.  The first thing to check is that the date/time on your computer and NAS match (at least cloeely).  Virus protection and firewall settings can also be a problem.  Clearing the Chrome cache and cookies may also help.

Message 15 of 18
Jojo90
Tutor

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my computer for the moment.
But I will try it asap and give you some news ! 😉
Message 16 of 18
niftienev
Initiate

Some good news on this one. Apart from the fact that the Certificate is wrong and always has been, I found the answer to the "continue" message not being there when using Google.

In my case it is ESET that have decided after 15 years to defaut HTTS blocks to be on. Going back to when this happened I looked it up and everyone was blaming Google for update 59. Well this is when ESET updated also.

FIX for ESET:

Go to SETUP

Click the cog wheel settings on the right of "Web access protection".

Click "WEB PROTOCOLS"

In HTTPS SCANNER SETUP, disable HTTPS checking

Click OK

All fixed.

Message 17 of 18
Jojo90
Tutor

Hello ! I had exactly the same issue, and it was effectively Eset NOD that was blocking the HTTPS protocol, when it encounters a bad certificate !!!

I've just disabled the HTTPS filtering, and now, it works like a charm !

Thank you very much Niftienev ! You resolved my issue ! 🙂

Regards,

Jojo

PS : What was strange, in this case (and make that I haven't thougt about Eset), is that even with Eset NOD activated, it works in Edge browser, and not in Chrome...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements