× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: update 1.0.21 doesn't backup TiVo

blueray1
Aspirant

update 1.0.21 doesn't backup TiVo

Did update to DLNA v. 1.0.21. So far as I can tell, the ReadyNAS Pro is no longer backing up (archiving) files from TiVo Premiere that are marked for keeping until I delete.

Any fix for this?
Message 1 of 9
alexofindy
Aspirant

I have had problems archiving from my Tivo to my Readynas, though my problems predate the 1.0.21 update.

The problem I have seems to have started when I received a Tivo firmware update to Tivo firmware 14.8U2

My symptom is this: the readynas tivo archive process does not complete; as a result, if I view the status of my Tivo on the "services" page of frontview on my readynas, it always says "archiving". This is not what it should do. What should happen is that the tivo archiving task on the Readynas should start at a predetermined time every day (you configure the time on the frontview tivo configuration), ask the Tivo if it has newly added "keep until I delete" shows, and archive these shows to the readynas. While it is archiving, frontview will show the Tivo as "archiving...". When it finishes archiving the newly added shows, Frontview should show the status as " idle. "

The next day, at the same predetermined time, the process repeats.

However. if for some reason the readynas archiving process never completes, the readynas will never enter "idle" status, and will not check the Tivo for new shows to archive.

In my case, as best I can tell, the Readynas keeps re-archiving already archived shows, which is why it never finishes, and frontview always says it is archiving. The readynas tivo process never enters idle status, so it never checks for new shows.

If I use frontview to manually stop (by disabling) and restarting the Tivo service, then new shows are archived, at the time configured in Frontview. But the problem is not fixed.

If I were guessing, I would say the Tivo database on my readynas has become corrupted. This suspected database corruption may occur when a firmware upgrade takes place on either the Readynas or the Tivo, by interrupting things in midstream.

I don't know of a permanent fix.

So....do you have the same issue? Does Frontview always show your Tivo as archiving? Does your readynas seem to be rearchiving shows it already has? (you can check for this by looking at the timestamps for the shows on the readynas share you're using for a tivo archive).
Message 2 of 9
blueray1
Aspirant

alexofindy wrote:
I have had problems archiving from my Tivo to my Readynas, though my problems predate the 1.0.21 update.

So....do you have the same issue? Does Frontview always show your Tivo as archiving? Does your readynas seem to be rearchiving shows it already has? (you can check for this by looking at the timestamps for the shows on the readynas share you're using for a tivo archive).

Frontview shows archiving happening at the correct time, however it does end after several minutes. However, the shows marked as Keep Until I Delete in TiVo do no show up in /media/Tivo and they do not show up in the TiVo listing for the ReadyNAS. Previously archived shows (before the update) remain in both places (archived).
Message 3 of 9
alexofindy
Aspirant

It is a different issue from mine. It may have the same underlyng cause, the Tivo database on the readynas becoming corrupted when a firmware update takes place, but who knows.

You can put in a tech support request, and there's a good chance they can help you, perhaps after it gets elevated a level or two. They may end up wishing to access your readynas remotely.

I choose not to go this far, but you may feel differently. Let us know if you get it fixed.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Message 4 of 9
alexofindy
Aspirant

Incidentally, are both your Tivo and readynas showing the correct date?
Message 5 of 9
blueray1
Aspirant

As far as I can tell..but I'm not 100% sure, at every update scheduled on ReadyNAS, the same TiVo programs are re-archived, but new one's are not.

I wonder if anyone has tried uninstalling the Ready DLNA and reinstalling? And if I tried this, do I lose what I have already archived? I've deactivated/activated the TiVo archiver on ReadyNAS. I've restarted TiVo Premiere without network connection but not done a full reset because I don't want to lose the Keep Until I Delete shows that are not getting backed up. I've also tried reinstalling 1.0.21. Any other ideas?
Message 6 of 9
alexofindy
Aspirant

Your statement that the same shows are being rearchived whereas new ones are not is similar, though not identical, to my problem. I do have some of my new shows archived, but most of the time the system is rearchiving already archived shows. Probably, we have the same underlying issue.

I've already gone back and forth on readydlna versions, doesn't seem to have cost me any shows, but no guarantees.

Another thing you might try is manually looking at what's been archived, by mounting the media share from the readynas on a PC or Mac, and seeing what's there. YOu may find you have more shows than you think. If this is the case, then use the rescan database function on frontview (on the readydlna/tivo configuration screen). The rescan should only take 5 or 10 minutes, and should make all the archived shows appear on the readynas folder as viewed from your tivo.

There is clearly a problem with readydlna/readytivo, hopefully the developers will have a chance to address it
Message 7 of 9
blueray1
Aspirant

Have noticed that more shows are listed in the TiVo Premiere listing for what is available from the ReadyNAS than what I see using the browser from Radar in /c/media/Tivo. However, new shows that are marked for back up do not appear in either place. I can't figure out where the shows that appear in the TiVo listing that are not listed in /c/media/tivo are actually located!

Any idea if renaming /c/media/tivo to something like /c/media/oldtivo might be a way to see if ReadyNAS will recreate a new Tivo directory with more luck about the archiving...while at the same time preserving the already archived files in case it does not work?
Message 8 of 9
blueray1
Aspirant

Not sure if any of the experts are following this issue posted here.

After finding that RN Pro 2 was not backing up (archiving) selected TiVo programs, I got a blank disk and used it to replace my working disks. -I guess that is like a new install. (Didn't use any of the boot menu options).

On TiVo Premiere I selected some new programs to Keep Until I Delete.

Ran the archiving function.

Result was that one program was archived...and it was one (of several) that had been previously archived. Others that had been archived under the original setup were not archived and the new selections were not archived.

Any ideas about fixing this?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements