× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

upgraded to 6.7.4 - No volumes exist

nxtgen
Apprentice

upgraded to 6.7.4 - No volumes exist

Like, I think the ReadyNAS gods hate me or something...  I'd actually like to come to the forum to post about a positive ReadyNAS experience, and yet every couple of weeks I find myself here with some new disaster....hahaha.

Once again, I'm not sure if Netgear is doing any QA in their firmware updates...

I bought a RN316 recently (used) and completely wiped it and set it back to factory defaults.  I set up the volume again as a RAID6 with a global spare and started playing with some apps.  Luckily, I have nothing critical on here (and I'm aobut 99% ready to remove all critical data from ALL of my ReadyNAS boxes at home, at work, and at the datacenter due to these consistent issues....).    Everything worked great; I got to mess with Plex a little which I've been putting off for years. 

Anyhow, I login today and see that 6.7.4 is avaialable... so I upgraded.   Then I rebooted.   Box comes back up fine but I login and "poof" "No Volumes Exist"

Way to go Netgear...

I'll be setting the box up again, but...yea.... I think we will have to look at converting all of our customers over to a competitior (that rhymes with symobology) or something; this stuff isnt going to fly in the business environments we work in.   If we blow up a RN4220 with 50TB of data over a simple firmware upgrade, we lose customers fast... this is just totally unacceptable in business environments.  It sucks that the longer Netgear has the ReadyNAS product the more and more it seems to be turning into a consumer/prosumer product like the rest of their producct line. 

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: upgraded to 6.7.4 - No volumes exist

From what you've posted we have no way of knowing what the cause was of what you ran into. We need more information.

If you haven't yet reset your RN316 I can have a look at it to try to diagnose what happened if you like. The logs zip downloaded with the NAS in that state would be helpful too (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 2 of 4
nxtgen
Apprentice

I appreciate the help, but like I said this was a pretty vanilla box that I was just playing with and had started using for testing... it really wasnt worth the hassle of recovery or troubleshooting. 

I just wish there was more QA on the Netgear side; I'm getting really gunshy about updates as of late... it never was like this back in the day with the 4.x OS (I still have some of those boxes running flawlessly to this day!). 

I already factory reset it and set up my volumes again since that was the fastest road to recovery for me. 

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You bought a used NAS. For all I know that unit could have hardware issues.

Without some additional information we have no way of verifying if you ran into a bug or not.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements