× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

upgraded to latest OS, now all volumes are gone

exibar
Aspirant

upgraded to latest OS, now all volumes are gone

so I upgraded to 6.10.7 on my rn214 last night.  I thought all went well until I tried to write to the volume.

I could not write as it was in read only mode.

so i rebooted the NAS, and now the volume is gone.  what the heck?

I do at least have a recent backup, THANKFULLY!!!!!   

but it's 4 x 4TB drives and the volume had like 755Gig free.  so there's a lot to copy over again from backup.

any thoughts about why this happened or is thins a known issue?  I simply clicked check for upgrades within the web page and allowed it to upgrade.

if I simply create a new volume, will it magically make the data available that is on the drives again?

thanks!

Mike B

only entries in my logs here:

May 19, 2022 02:10:44 AM

System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 19, 2022 02:10:22 AM

System: External storage device connected.
May 19, 2022 02:10:18 AM

Volume: The volume NGear_NAS encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data.

System: Firmware was upgraded to 6.10.7.

Volume: Less than 10% of volume NGear_NAS's capacity is free. NGear_NAS's performance is degraded and you risk running out of usable space. To improve performance and stability, you must add capacity or make free space.
May 19, 2022 02:05:09 AM

System: The system is rebooting.
May 19, 2022 12:05:09 AM

Backup: Successfully completed backup job job_001.
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: upgraded to latest OS, now all volumes are gone

@exibar wrote:

only entries in my logs

You'll almost certainly see more details in the log zip at the time when the NAS reported it went read-only.

System.log, kernel.log, and systemd-journal.log are some useful places to look.  You can also get a better handle on disk health by looking at disk_info.log

@exibar wrote:

so I upgraded to 6.10.7 on my rn214 last night.  I thought all went well until I tried to write to the volume.

I could not write as it was in read only mode.

so i rebooted the NAS, and now the volume is gone.  what the heck?

I do at least have a recent backup, THANKFULLY!!!!!   

but it's 4 x 4TB drives and the volume had like 755Gig free.  so there's a lot to copy over again from backup.

Still, less than 10% free space.  That's actually quite risky with BTRFS.  Personally I make sure I never go below 15%.

There are several possible causes, so you could potentially pursue it with paid Netgear support, and possibly avoid rebuilding the NAS volume.  Personally I'd just rebuild it myself (and FWIW, my volume is bigger than yours).

@exibar wrote:

if I simply create a new volume, will it magically make the data available that is on the drives again?

The new volume would be empty.

Message 2 of 7
exibar
Aspirant

lots of ethernet errors.... looks like the NICs aren't bonded

-- Logs begin at Thu 2022-05-19 07:33:12 EDT, end at Thu 2022-05-19 14:12:21 EDT. --
May 19 13:36:22 NetgearNAS kernel: bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth1)
Check the configuration to verify that all adapters are connected to 802.3ad compliant switch ports
May 19 13:36:22 NetgearNAS kernel: bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)
Check the configuration to verify that all adapters are connected to 802.3ad compliant switch ports
May 19 13:36:23 NetgearNAS kernel: bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth1)
May 19 13:36:23 NetgearNAS kernel: bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)
May 19 13:36:24 NetgearNAS kernel: bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth1)
May 19 13:36:24 NetgearNAS kernel: bond0: An illegal loopback occurred on adapter (eth0)
Check the configuration to verify that all adapters are

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

lots of ethernet errors.... looks like the NICs aren't bonded

Did you ever look at these logs before?  This could have been the case all along.  Is the switch configured to use LACP bonding?  Many just support static LAG.

Are you seeing any disk-related errors or BTRFS errors?  Or are the ethernet errors swamping the logs?

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, rebooting is the worst thing you could have done.  When the NAS goes into read-only mode, it's because it detected an error and it goes read-only to prevent further damage while giving you an opportunity to make sure your data is backed up.  The problem was most likely not caused by the OS upgrade per se, but by the reboot it requires and the subsequent volume check, where an uncorrectable error was detected.

Of course, while I hope this information will help others who read it, it doesn't help you.  Let @StephenB help you, but Netgear support may be your ultimate best solution.

Message 5 of 7
exibar
Aspirant

I do have a solid backup of the NAS, so I was a little more "wild west shootin' " then I normally would have been.

I have the logs that I downloaded, I'd be happy to share if you are interested.  But I don't see any errors other than the ETH bonding issue.

is there a specific log I can look at that you find most helpful?  

Just a bit of my background, I've been an engineer in computer security for about 35 years now, so I'd be happy to run through the logs deeper and try to flush out the root cause.

I agree that rebooting is the worse thing you can do to any storage device LOL  But I just wish there was something pointing to this error.  I'm sure there is and I'm just not familiar enough with the NG logs.  heck I didn't even know there was this amount of logging available until yesterday... happy to see it all actually 🙂

Mike B

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

is there a specific log I can look at that you find most helpful?  

system.log, kernel.log, and systemd-journal.logs are good places to look.

Don't post the full log zip publicly, as there is some privacy leakage when you do that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements