× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: volume degraded after disk swap on a RN312

lorenz
Aspirant

volume degraded after disk swap on a RN312

Hi there,

I run a RN312 with two 6TB western digital red drives runing x-raid. one of them started having an increasing reallocated sector count, so I replaced it with another drive of the same type.

so far so good. after re-syncing had been completed the volume is now degraded. rebooting the RN triggers a new re-sync with the same result - a degraded volume. mdstat.log claims I have two working devices (drives), one active and one spare.

is there any way to recover from this outside of a factory reset (there is a backup, however on the other end of a very slow connection, so I'd rather not have to restore)...

thanks for any pointers...

best,

Lorenz

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
lorenz
Aspirant

that's right, I did replace it with one of the same type and size...

I did a factory reset and the volume ist healthy again now, "just" need to restore the back up after updating the ssh setup with the newly generated keys....ah well....

thanks for thinking along sandshark & stephenB!

best,

Lorenz

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You might try removing the spare and then confirming that you still have access to your data.

Then unformat the spare with Western Digital's lifeguard program in a Windows PC.  The quick "write zeros" test will do that nicely.

After that hot-insert that drive into the NAS, and it should re-add it to the array (hopefully not as a spare this time).

Message 2 of 9
lorenz
Aspirant

thanks a lot for the ideas stephen! I did as you suggested: data was still there after removing the new disk that was only recognized as spare. re-wrote it will all zeros. powered down the RN, reinserted the wiped disk, powered it up again, it synced: same result - volume is still degraded..:-(

on the up side I now have a hard drive docking station to wipe and re-use my old drives..;-)...

I just realized I did deviate from your suggestion in one point: I did not hot-insert the wiped drive as that did not work the 1st time. could that make a difference? if not: any other ideas?

thanks & best,

lorenz

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@lorenz wrote:

I did not hot-insert the wiped drive as that did not work the 1st time. could that make a difference? if not: any other ideas?

Hot-insertion is better because the NAS detects the insertion.  If you insert with the NAS powered down, it needs to figure out that an insertion was done.

The net here though is that the NAS is insisting on marking the drive as a spare.  One thing you could try (painful) is to do a factory reset with both drives in place.  After a successful RAID sync you'd have to restore the data from backup.

You could also try paid support via my.netgear.com.

Message 4 of 9
lorenz
Aspirant

hot insertion did not help either. will backup my config and try moving from x-raid to flex-raid and report back if that makes the RN include the 2nd disk again. if I do not report back on this thread again, I will have resorted to going back to factory settings...:-/

thanks for attempting to help!

cheers,

lorenz

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe you should be able to change to FlexRAID and manually add the drive to your array with the "expand" option, then move back to XRAID once it's complete.  You may have to re-format the drive first (in the NAS).

Message 6 of 9
lorenz
Aspirant

thanks, that was my idea as well, however when moving to flexraid the volume is shown as raid 1, however still degraded. I can thus not proceed as planned / as suggested.

also any reboot results in a re-sync of the 2nd drive, regardless wether in X-Raid or flexraid, but always with the same result - a degraded volume.

overall this might be a bug in the drive detection / raid software as it originally occured after hot swapping the failing drive for a new one. will likely restore factory settings over the weekend...

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Though you said you replaced the drive with another one of the same type, one thing that will cause that is if the new drive is too small.

Message 8 of 9
lorenz
Aspirant

that's right, I did replace it with one of the same type and size...

I did a factory reset and the volume ist healthy again now, "just" need to restore the back up after updating the ssh setup with the newly generated keys....ah well....

thanks for thinking along sandshark & stephenB!

best,

Lorenz

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements