× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

weird files in root

tony359
Apprentice

weird files in root

I've just noticed. I have covered my shares and the NAS' name.

Shall I be concerned??

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: weird files in root

I suspect you have been hacked.
Message 2 of 6
tony359
Apprentice

wow, that's not good.
My SSH password is long and complex. Is there anything I can check? Logs or anything?
And how do I delete those files now, they are refusing to delete. I tried by FTP and terminal. I cannot type the name so I typed rm -i * but the system comes up with an error message.

Edit: someone is definitely trying to getting in...

Jun  9 04:23:24 xxxxxxxx sshd[18388]: Failed password for root from 182.100.67.113 port 52274 ssh2

Jun  5 09:04:10 xxxxxxxx sshd[15205]: reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for 150.0.47.59.broad.bx.ln.dynamic.163data.com.cn failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
Message 3 of 6
tony359
Apprentice

Hi all,

On a webpage I found a way to delete those files: by inode number.

List by using

ls -il

then delete with

find . -inum (the_relevant_inode_number) -exec rm -i {} \;

Would that work?
Message 4 of 6
sdouek
Guide

Have you tried using WinSCP ?
Message 5 of 6
tony359
Apprentice

Yes, does not work. Even using rm -i won't work, the system should ask me confirmation and I should be able to say "yes" to what I want but no luck.

I believe I will let my CrashPlan to complete the upload first and then I will remove those files 🙂
What I need to know is: is it safe to do? Any chance they were created by some app?

Also, I could not see a successful access by SSH on the 8th - to be honest I doubt someone was able to get in, my password is not an easy one. Besides SSH, is there anywhere else I should look for clues of someone breaking in?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements