× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: what is leafp2p?

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

what is leafp2p?

what is leafp2p running on my system?  I understand its somehow related to readynas remote or readynas replicate, neither of which I will ever use.  Is leafp2p used for anything else?  It ends up creating a few processes and is always burning on the CPU just a little bit.  Can it be safely disabled without any problems?  Are any other aspects of readynas dependent on this VPN software being enabled?  Seems to me it should not be running unless its really needed and is a bit invasive.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I can report that his problem has been solved in 6.5.0 RC3, leafp2p should not be left running anymore unless Netgear cloud services are being used.  That is my experience with RC3 so far.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

leafp2p is the VPN technology that powers Ready Remote, Replicate, and ReadyCloud.

It is not running on my RN102, but it is running on my RN202 - not sure why.  Both are running 6.5.0 Beta 2, and both have all cloud services turned off.

Message 2 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you don't use any of the cloud services you could try doing e.g.

# systemctl stop leafp2p

# systemctl disable leafp2p

Message 3 of 10
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

So that would include ReadyCloud, ReadynasRemote, ReadynasReplicate?  Anything else that requires this service running?

I am thinking about messing around with ReadyCloud at some point, but I'm not sure I really need it.  I'm assumign that if I decide I want to use those again I would just do the following to renable it again later:

systemctl enable leafp2p
systemctl start leafp2p

Yes?  where does the actual .service file for leafp2p get stashed?

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes.

/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/leafp2p.service is a symlink back to the service file. When you enable it you will see the location of the service file.

Where /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/leafp2p.service does not exist the service won't be automatically started on boot.

The disable/enable commands are for whether to start the service on boot
The stop/start commands are to take actions on the service now, to stop/start it right now.

Message 5 of 10
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

hmm, interesting. I did not disable leafp2p yet or so anything related to it.  I can see with ps that its running.  However, there is no symlink to it under /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants.  The service file does exist under /lib/systemd/system/, which I have been learning is where those others under multi-user.target.wants are usually sym linked to.  I don't know anything about the target.wants thing, what it does or how it works, but as of now, I haven't actually disabled it and its running, but its not sym linked there either.

going to attempt to disable and stop it now.  I'll worry about this later if ever need to do cloud stuff

Message 6 of 10
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

So I used systemctl to stop and disable leafp2p.  It did indeed stop the process.  However on the next reboot, there it was again, and reenabled in systemctl somehow.

readynasd must be forcing it back in?

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

siigna explained why it came back: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/how-to-get-rid-of-Mysql-systemctl/m-p/1074115#U...

The service was written back when init.d scripts were used.

systemd service files take precedence if they exist and are much better. You can make a service depend on another one having started first or been run first. It's good for getting services to start and stop in the right order.

Message 8 of 10
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

yep, after the other thread about mysql, I figured that out.

So the point is, in the case of disabling leafp2p, the following is not enough:

systemctl stop leafp2p
systemctl disable leafp2p

Because that was an older one, it originated in init.d and the systemd units are generated on each reboot.  A complete stopping and disabling of leafp2p would be this:

update-rc.d leafp2p remove
systemctl stop leafp2p
systemctl disable leafp2p

The above also applies to mysql and rsyslog that I was also having a hard time getting rid of.  The above also disables those services completely without actually removing any software.  AS LONG AS the LSB header comments are in the init.d script.  If not, then you might have to basically remove all the rcN.d symlinks manually, near as I can tell.

Message 9 of 10
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

I can report that his problem has been solved in 6.5.0 RC3, leafp2p should not be left running anymore unless Netgear cloud services are being used.  That is my experience with RC3 so far.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements