× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1/2 new drive capacity allocated to volume?

yamy125
Aspirant

1/2 new drive capacity allocated to volume?

Hi all,

I've gone through http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=42113 and thought I understood it correctly, but maybe I'm missing something obvious here that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

A quick setup rundown:

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 that was originally populated with 4 x 2TB in X-RAID2 format, single redundancy.

Ran out of space so figured I would add a 4TB drive and leverage X-RAID's ability to add the full 4TB capacity to the volume.

Current status:

4 x 2TB and 1 x new 4TB (5 drives total) in the same XRAID-2 format, single redundancy, yet only 7.4TB capacity showing. Main concern/issue is that the new 4TB drive shows "WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 [3726 GB] 1858 GB allocated", so the allocation is where my problem lies and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to leverage the additional capacity of the drive?

The logs show "Volume expansion or migration started. Do not interrupt the system during this time. When finished, email notification will be sent to the alert contact list." after adding the new disk. That all went through OK. I've rebooted multiple time after the sync/expansion completed. I've checked to make sure disk spindown wasn't enabled, no snapshots or disable journaling (these aren't options on the Ultra 6) and have ensured I was on latest firmware (I was on 4.2.20 when disk was added, now on latest 4.2.24 and have since rebooted - no change).

Have I misunderstood how expansion should work and allocate the space here?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: 1/2 new drive capacity allocated to volume?

yamy125 wrote:
...Have I misunderstood how expansion should work and allocate the space here?...
Yes. XRAID-2 with single redundancy requires 2 of the largest drives to be installed. Dual-redundancy requires 4.

You are using single redundancy, so if you want the full capacity of the 4 TB drive to be allocated you will need to install another one.

Note also there are two expansion limits:
(a) volumes cannot be expanded over the 16 TiB limit.
(b) volumes cannot be grow more than 8 TiB over their starting size.

Both limits require factory resets to overcome (and then restoring data from backup). Do you remember what drives were in place when you did your last factory reset (including initial install)?
Message 2 of 3
yamy125
Aspirant

Re: 1/2 new drive capacity allocated to volume?

Thanks for confirming. I was hoping that was the only thing stopping this from expanding to use full capacity.

Original config was 4 x 2TB, so this is the first addition and another drive should still have me sitting under the 8TB expansion limit without reset by the sounds. Off to buy another 4 TB drive... 🙂
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements