× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1GbE speeds over 10GbE connections? MacOS

Ukeyoner
Aspirant

1GbE speeds over 10GbE connections? MacOS

I was wondering if anyone is having this same expereince. I have a new 626x, all drives filled, x-raid, connected to a Netgear XS708E 10GbE router, and I'm getting very slow speeds over 10GbE. Not even 90MBs. I was getting better speeds though my Pioneer Pro.  My mac is connected to the router though a Promise Technolgy Sanlink2 by thunderbolt. I know I have to tinker with the settigs on each device to get the best performance, but it shouldn't be this slow, should it? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: 1GbE speeds over 10GbE connections? MacOS

@mdgm wrote:

I was thinking e.g. a 5400RPM hard disk in an iMac could be a bottleneck.

I agree that could easily be it.  iPerf would measure just the network, so the disks in the NAS and the iMAC wouldn't factor in - so it would help isolate the cause.

Can you copy from the thunderbolt RAID array to the NAS?  That's another way to take the imac disk out of the equation.

@mdgm wrote:

With Jumbo Frames finding the right MTU for your environment can take a bit of work. I'm not sure if/how well Jumbo Frames work with 10G.

Though they should work just fine, I see no need for them with 10G.  So I would just turn them off, and use the normal 1500 MTU.

Also, if iPv6 is enabled in the NAS, try disabling it.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig). Is your Mac reporting a 10Gig connection to your switch or 1Gig?

Are you using CAT6A cables? If not you could try using those.

Message 2 of 14
Ukeyoner
Aspirant

I emailed the logs. 

I'm using Cat 7 calbles actually. 

In my mac network utility it states a 10 Gbit/s link speed. 

On my router all the lights are greenm which on the XS708E indecates 10GbE supposedly.

Thank you for your time. 

-Mike Czerniuk

Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs were not attached to your email.

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs show a 10GbE connection.

Could the hard disk in your Mac be the bottleneck?

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Could the hard disk in your Mac be the bottleneck?

If you are comfortable with ssh, you could try installing iperf on the NAS and the Mac.  That would let you see if this is a network issue or not.

Message 6 of 14
Ukeyoner
Aspirant

I'm not sure how the Hard drives could be the bottleneck. I did throw in a mix of hard drive sizes for testing, but all of them are sata 3 and 7200 rpm. I would imagine 6 drives in raid 5 should be able to go faster than 90MBs. 

I have a half full 6 bay thunderbold 1 drive in a raid 5 that does 400MBs over a thundeboldt 2 connetion. I was hoping an emoty 626x would be ablt to go almost as fast as that. 

But I agree the 1Gb speeds is showing a bottleneck somewhere. 

Message 7 of 14
Ukeyoner
Aspirant

I don't know anything about SSH. I would need to look into that. I am thinking that I have some settings set up wrong on one end or the other, I just can't figure out where. 

Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try disabling Jumbo Frames and seeing what the performance is like with the default MTU.

With Jumbo Frames finding the right MTU for your environment can take a bit of work. I'm not sure if/how well Jumbo Frames work with 10G.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

I agree that could easily be it.  iPerf would measure just the network, so the disks in the NAS and the iMAC wouldn't factor in - so it would help isolate the cause.

Can you copy from the thunderbolt RAID array to the NAS?  That's another way to take the imac disk out of the equation.

@mdgm wrote:

Though they should work just fine, I see no need for them with 10G.  So I would just turn them off, and use the normal 1500 MTU.

Also, if iPv6 is enabled in the NAS, try disabling it.

Message 10 of 14
Ukeyoner
Aspirant

The 626x is being accessed by a 2013 mac pro, 1 TB ssd. But I was copying from the thunderbolt raid to the nas. It's definitly not the host computer hard drive, although that would be even faster. I was using AJA and Blackmagic disk tests to check the transfer speed on the nas.  

Pv6 is enabled on the nas. I disabled it on one of the ports and now that port has disapeared from the network page. 

Message 11 of 14
Ukeyoner
Aspirant

The 10GbE port showed back up when I logged out and back into admin page.

Message 12 of 14
Ukeyoner
Aspirant

I think disabling  iPv6 did the trick. 

I'm now getting writes in the 400-600 range and reads in the 600-700 range. 

Thank you so much!

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad we could help.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation