× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

4.2.18 needs a lot more testing.

iptv
Aspirant

4.2.18 needs a lot more testing.

ReadyNAS team,

I don't think there's a particularly delicate way to put this - 4.2.18 AFP is simply not fit for primetime.
You need to take this one back to the drawing board.

uname : Linux NAS-02 2.6.37.6.RNx86_32.1.1 #1 Fri Jun 24 18:43:04 PDT 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
version : ReadyNAS NVX Business Edition [X-RAID2]

I've been doing some testing with it today, and so far, I have experienced;

1. client computer finder freezes with only ~50 to ~80 MB of a file transferred, stuck on "calculating time remaining"
2. copy of a 44GB workflow estimated at 13 minutes, completed in four, with a whole lot of zero length files.
3. a few times, random "Server has closed connections"

Performing the same file tests using NFS or even SCP doesn't appear to have these issues, so I'm laying the blame on the AFP implementation.

I would strongly encourage a lot more testing before people start to rely on AFP for time machine backups. If the system corrupts a sparse bundle, they could loose everything.

Ben.
Message 1 of 5
iptv
Aspirant

Re: 4.2.18 needs a lot more testing.

Let's also add;

4. "Something is wrong with the volume's CNID database. Switching to read only mode"

And upon further checking with the sourceforge site for netatalk (the open source of AFP that is used with the ReadyNAS) this is NOT A RELEASE VERSION. In fact the message says very clearly at the top of the page:

"Do not run this on production systems."

Netgear, you guys have NOT done enough to explain to users, that this is PRE-RELEASE and potentially UNSTABLE code !!!!

Use at your own risk folks.
Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ReadyNAS is not running the beta from sourceforge. If you checked the version of Netatalk using SSH you would know this. It is running stable code.
Message 3 of 5
G4Monster
Aspirant

I'm having all kinds of problems with this beta. I still get the error that the version of AFP is not supported when I try to backup to a volume that I created. And when I use the default ReadyNAS user account to backup having set this up with the Front View "Time Machine Backup" configuration utility, I consistently get an error that there's only 139GB free on my NV+ though I have 2TB free and 4 @ 1TB disks. Worse, I even have the Front View Time Machine configuration set to 500GB yet Time Machine reports that only 139GB are free on the volume ReadyNAS.

Anyone have tips here?
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

G4Monster. Your NAS is running 4.1.8 beta, not 4.2.18. So please open a new thread in the Public beta forum for the NV+ describing your issue there.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements