× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.6.0 - System Hangs during backup to USB device

Vinfo1
Aspirant

6.6.0 - System Hangs during backup to USB device

Firmware 6.6.0

I wanted to backup my photo's to my USB drive. The USB-drive is already used for a former backup of the photo's, and I want to add the latest photo's to my USB-backup. a so called incremental backup

As soon as started the backup, I get a system hang: the front panel shows an error on row 1: __percpu_counter

and on row 2: _add+3c

after the reboot, the readynas is working properly.

No entries in any logbook.

I use a 500GB Seagate Pipeline HD in a Sharkoon docking station of yhe front USB-port. The HD is formatted in NTSC format.

The question now is: what's going wrong?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 6.6.0 - System Hangs during backup to USB device

That error could come from anywhere.

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

I have sent the system logs.

fyi. I tried to make a new backup, exactly according to the description of :

http://kb.netgear.com/29654/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-system-to-a-USB-disk

Also format the disk in Ext4. So, I had an empty disk.

The backup task did start succesfully, but after a short while, the same system hang occurs. After booting the NAS, a resync started.

Message 3 of 14
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Vinfo1,

Thanks for sending. Let's wait for results. I hope you have included the of this thread to the email.

Regards,

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can see I/O errors. Have you checked the health of the disk using SeaTools?

Message 5 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

This is rather strange.

I created a same backup, by attaching the USB disk to a windows 10 laptop, and with copy/paste, I copied the whole picture map to the USB disk. Beside the very long backuptime (19 hours), the result was the same. And no errors.

I do not believe that the ReadyNas crashes when the USB-disk have some I-O errors. At last the windows copy was succeful.The ReadyNas should also be succesful or must report the error but  it cannot be the case that ReadyNas crashes.

But I wil accept your recommendation, and will check the health of the USB disk.I'll keep you informed

Message 6 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

I checked the USB Drive with seatools, and every test was passed. I don't think that the drive is unhealthy.

I remember that I got a messages when I used the "Windows-based" backup with copy/paste. In teh end Windows found 66 pictures with the same date and size. I skipped thos files. But this massge was rather strange, because it means there is a folder on the NAS with duplicate files?

Another issue is, after I tried a second backup to USB (following the example from Netgear, including format to EXT4), the ReadyNas crashes again. After the reboot, the OS started a Resync.

The logboek says:

Mon Dec 5 2016 20:04:56

Back-up: Error in back-uptask BackupPhotosToUSB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation.

This message appears within 50 second after I started the backup task.

Why the destination is read-only, surprises me, because I formatted the disk.

Message 7 of 14
bedlam1
Prodigy

Vinfo1 wrote "Another issue is, after I tried a second backup to USB (following the example from Netgear, including format to EXT4), the ReadyNas crashes again. After the reboot, the OS started a Resync.

The logboek says:

Mon Dec 5 2016 20:04:56

Back-up: Error in back-uptask BackupPhotosToUSB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created. Check if these files or folders meet the destination file system limitation.

This message appears within 50 second after I started the backup task.

Why the destination is read-only, surprises me, because I formatted the disk."

I had the same happen to me recently, using 6.6.1 on My Pro 4, whilst running a regular/routine Rsync backup job to an NTFS USB drive, I fixed it by using Win 10 to remove "Read Only" permissions from the entire disk in "Disk Properties" "Attributes"
I have no idea how "Read Only" was set as the job has run flawlessly for a few months - 3 times a day
Is there something similar in EXT4 - I have never used it
Message 8 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

The story continues...

I have a W10 PC with enough free diskspace to backup my photo collection. So I thought, I make a backup to that PC. I followed  100% exactly the wizzard: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29763

I tested the connection to the location on the disk of the W10-pc. It was succesfull!

After finishing te wizzard, I started the backup-task. ReadyNas sys: Processing and..... Notting happens.

The backuptas is started, but it don't backup. No entries in the logbook in the webinterface..

Downloaded the logbooks, I found in backup_003 status: BACKUP_STATUS__IN_PROGRESS,0!!1481457468!!OK and in backup_003.log:

name: BackupPhotosToI5-CM
full: yes
proto: cifs
src: [share:Afbeeldingen]/
dst: [remote:cifs]///I5-CM/PhotosBackup

A reboot of the ReadyNas didn't help.

Why is this ReadNas not able to make a backup???

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You might need to put credentials in the NAS backup job for the windows PC.  There are some recent changes in Windows 10 related to guest access.

A work-around is to use something like Teracopy to copy the data from the PC side.  Windows drag-drop would work as well, I am suggesting teracopy only because it has an option to verify.

Message 10 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

That´s the solution Stephen. Even when the ReadyNas accept the connection without credentials, the backuptask won´t start.

After I added a special account on my Windows laptop, the backuptask runs flawless.

So this issue is solved.

Now looking for a solutions for the system hang.

Message 11 of 14
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Vinfo1,

What is the model of the ReadyNAS that you are using?

How many drives do you have and what RAID level are you using?

Just to bring it up also, the new BETA firmware actually has a fix for system hangs; though its for RN200 series on a RAID6.

ReadyNASOS 6.6.1-T220 (Beta 3)

Regards,

Message 12 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

Dear FramerV,

Unfortunately, I have a RN104 with 4 disks in RaidX.

I don't think this fix will help me.

Message 13 of 14
Vinfo1
Aspirant

Last week, I tried to make a backup again on my seagate USB-drive.
And again errors in the backuplog:

Cannot create file '/job_003/Foto/Zelhem 2015/IMG_0851.CR2' (error: Input/output error)!
Cannot create file '/job_003/Foto/Zelhem 2015/IMG_0851.JPG' (error: Input/output error)!
Cannot create file '/job_003/Foto/Zelhem 2015/Thumbs.db' (error: Input/output error)!
Cannot create directory Foto/Zelhem 2016!
Cannot create directory Foto/Zomervakantie 2002 Denemarken!
Cannot create directory Foto/Zomervakantie 2003 Frankrijk!

And within minutes the same system hang as before.

The USB-drive (the old seagate ST3500321CS) which I used in the early days of my prior READYNAS NV works fine within Windows. I use a sharkoon docking port
After the resync of my RN104 NAS, I used an modern WD Elements portable of 1 TB (USB3) and started the backup again. The backup job ended normally and everything is backupped succesfully.

The disk was checked with seatools, and no errors were found. But this is not 100% because of the use of the sharkoon usb docking port.

So, my conclusion is either the sharkoon docking port in combination with the readynas is not reliable, or the combination sharkoon docking station/seagate disk, readynas is not reliable and Readynas do not handle the errors properly. Hopefully the development-team of Netgear will come wit a stable solution.

Anyway, my problem is solved.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements