× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AFP auto mount on ReadyNAS startup (OSX 10.5.5)

nd
Aspirant
Aspirant

AFP auto mount on ReadyNAS startup (OSX 10.5.5)

Hi there
Is it possible to get some of the shares automatically mounted, when the NAS ist started up? Or even better as soon as the ReadyNas is visible in the Finder? This would also allow me to connect my macbook to the network when the ReadyNas is already running and get my shares auto mounted...

Thx in advance!
Message 1 of 88
chirpa
Luminary

Message 2 of 88
nd
Aspirant
Aspirant

wow thx this apple-script works like a charm. But this solution only works on startup of my macbook. I couln't find a solution, where the shares are mapped automatically when the ReadyNAS is starting up and the macbook is already running...

If somebody knows that I would really appreciate for telling me 😉
Message 3 of 88
chirpa
Luminary

✓ Solution

Maybe something like this:

Bonjour Mounter will mount your AFP or SMB share points silently in the background.
Add Bonjour Mounter to your login items to mount your share points on login without that annoying finder window popping up.
It will also automatically mount appearing bonjour enabled servers when they become available.

If you have the Bonjour discovery service enabled on the NAS, that should in theory mount when the NAS is discovered.
Message 4 of 88
nd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you it seems to work! yeah this is really cool thx 😄
Message 5 of 88
Sandro_Noel
Aspirant

I'm glad Netgear Support is promoting my software 😄
Go Netgear Go.

P.S. you can send me a ready nas any time :lol:
Message 6 of 88
chirpa
Luminary

Sandro Noel wrote:
I'm glad Netgear Support is promoting my software 😄
Go Netgear Go.

P.S. you can send me a ready nas any time :lol:
Your software fits a spot many Mac users need, and seems to work well, good job.
Unfortunately, I haven't mastered getting ReadyNAS's to grow on trees yet, so I can't just give you one.
Message 7 of 88
SLIDERROMAN
Aspirant

I can"t the program to work (STILL NEWBIE) I think it has to do with what belongs in the sharepoint field. What should be in the sharepoint field? What am I doing wrong? HELP

Thanks
Message 8 of 88
bollar
Aspirant

It's looking for the name of the share in that field (like media).
Message 9 of 88
SLIDERROMAN
Aspirant

Thanks, what if I want to mount multiple shares?
Message 10 of 88
bollar
Aspirant

Click the + and add the next share.

I wound up uninstalling it. Neat idea, but for some reason, it seemed to take much longer to execute the mounts than other methods.
Message 11 of 88
SLIDERROMAN
Aspirant

Thanks again, yes I agree it does take longer, but cleaner.
Message 12 of 88
glawrie
Aspirant

Maybe I'm missing something... but we auto-mount AFP shares on our ReadyNas simply by putting an alias to the shared drive in our our 'login items' for the account in question. Really easy, seems to work without problem.

1) In Finder preferences turn on the preference to 'Show connected servers' (under General)
2) Connect to the required share (using whatever manual method works best for you)
3) Find the icon for the share on your desktop
4) Click on share icon and press 'right mouse button'
5) Choose 'make alias' from the context menu
6) Rename the alias created to whatever makes sense, and move it to a place where it won't be deleted or get in the way
7) Open System Preferences and go to the 'Accounts' pane - click on the 'Login Items' tab
😎 Find the Alias to the shared network folder in a finder window and drag it into the 'login items window' - it will now appear as an item in the Login window
9) Tick the 'Hide' button next to the Alias item in the Login window
10) That's it you are done.

Do this, and (if it works as it does here) the next time you log in to the account, Finder will connect to your AFP share and hide the finder window associated with it.

We use this approach to have machines connect to a shared folder containing iTunes content - works behind scenes reliably and quietly. Just what you need, and no need to fuss around with 'sharepoint' settings or whatever.

HTH
Message 13 of 88
starg4ze
Aspirant

One BIG advantage of Bonjour Mount is that the mounts remounts if you for example reboot the nas, or getting a network dip that makes you drop the connection to the NAS.

I also used the "login-items" before, but when I found Bonjour Mount...I don't any more. Excelent piece of software!

/SG
Message 14 of 88
physicsguy1
Aspirant

Re: AFP auto mount on ReadyNAS startup (OSX 10.5.6)

I have a related question. I usually mount my shares manually using afp, not smb ("connect to server" menu item). The reason I do this is because of the following problem.

If instead I click on the NAS device icon in the finder sidebar and kind of let the volumes "automount" by selecting them, many (but not all) the times, they mount as smb shares. Is there a way to tell Mac OS to NEVER mount the shares as smb by default, and always use afp?

I don't want to disable the smb service on the NAS b/c I have windows machines in the house.

Thanks.

I know I can now use some of the automount suggestions in this post (and I will), but I am still curious about this old problem.
Message 15 of 88
starg4ze
Aspirant

Re: AFP auto mount on ReadyNAS startup (OSX 10.5.6)

physicsguy wrote:
I have a related question. I usually mount my shares manually using afp, not smb ("connect to server" menu item). The reason I do this is because of the following problem.

If instead I click on the NAS device icon in the finder sidebar and kind of let the volumes "automount" by selecting them, many (but not all) the times, they mount as smb shares. Is there a way to tell Mac OS to NEVER mount the shares as smb by default, and always use afp?

I don't want to disable the smb service on the NAS b/c I have windows machines in the house.

Thanks.

I know I can now use some of the automount suggestions in this post (and I will), but I am still curious about this old problem.

On My PRO, with both AFP and CIFS(SMB) shares enabled, The PRO I have THREE Icons in the sidebar: One looking as a Imac(AFP), One looking as a WinDoze-BSOD and one looking as a timecapsule(due to the enabled timemachine-support). If you click on the "Imac-nas-icon" you get AFP, If you choose BSOD you get CIFS(SMB).
Message 16 of 88
niaolong
Aspirant

I found automountmaker (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Uti ... aker.shtml) which works like a charm to mount shares during startup. And it also works with OSX 10.4 (Tiger).
Message 17 of 88
kogel
Aspirant

I always user CIFS for all my shares, I mounted them automatically in the login. But since I'm all into mac now i wanted to change that into AFP. For all my shares I set the read/write on for both CIFS and AFP (because I also have 1 windows compu that must access files, and a SONOS). I put on the option to advertise AFP over Bonjour. In finder you see all the shares on KOGELNAS(AFP). BUT I also see all the shares as a windows server. I don't want that. I would like to see everything once.

Can anybody help me. I need everything to be mounted on startup because I use logical links in certain directories (like movies for Frontrow).

Thank you Frans
Message 18 of 88
niaolong
Aspirant

Please see my reply above. Download automountmaker (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Uti ... aker.shtml), install and start it. Select "new" to make a new script with what you want to launch. You will need one script for every share you want to launch. Save the scripts and then drag them into you start-up items in System Preferences/Accounts. Next time you start up your Mac, the shares should be launched automatically.
Message 19 of 88
sphardy1
Apprentice

In finder you see all the shares on KOGELNAS(AFP). BUT I also see all the shares as a windows server. I don't want that. I would like to see everything once.

See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17558
Message 20 of 88
physicsguy1
Aspirant

starg4ze wrote:
On My PRO, with both AFP and CIFS(SMB) shares enabled, The PRO I have THREE Icons in the sidebar: One looking as a Imac(AFP), One looking as a WinDoze-BSOD and one looking as a timecapsule(due to the enabled timemachine-support). If you click on the "Imac-nas-icon" you get AFP, If you choose BSOD you get CIFS(SMB).

Starg4ze:
I have the original readyNas rev A, not the Pro. I don't have those three kinds of icons in the sidebar. I just have one for the nas device, and if I click it, all the volumes mount as smb. To get afp, I have to use the finder's "connect to server" pull-down item.

Any suggestions on how to get afp every time on a mac?
Message 21 of 88
You_never_know_
Aspirant

physicsguy wrote:
starg4ze wrote:

Starg4ze:
I have the original readyNas rev A, not the Pro. I don't have those three kinds of icons in the sidebar. I just have one for the nas device, and if I click it, all the volumes mount as smb. To get afp, I have to use the finder's "connect to server" pull-down item.

Any suggestions on how to get afp every time on a mac?

Maybe cause you´re using 10.4. not 10.5?
Message 22 of 88
cbhiii1
Aspirant

Bonjour Mounter didn't work for me. It was causing kernel panics on my new Macbook after coming out of sleep. The same is true for MountWatcher which I paid for but have not gotten any support on.
Message 23 of 88
rainbow2009
Aspirant

😄 Most plausible posts I knew so far 😎
simulation credit auto
Message 24 of 88
rcarr6502
Tutor

After a lot of trial-and-error, I discovered that if you're going to use the System Preferences->Users->Login Items method to automount your shares, make sure you automount your private home share (or other non-guest-login shares) BEFORE you automount other shares. Otherwise, your private home share (or non-guest-login shares) won't mount and will give you an error -6602 on any attempt to mount, until you unmount all shares and start over.

This is true in OSX 10.5. I don't know if it's true in other revs.
Message 25 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements