× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP auto mount on ReadyNAS startup (OSX 10.5.5)

sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: AFP auto mount on ReadyNAS startup (OSX 10.5.5)

Up to you - I would but then I prefer a clean filesystem
Message 76 of 88
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Still a no-go.

Latest error is:

mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error 1, errno is 1

I know the command I'm using is correct, because it originally returned that the share was already mounted (which it was). So, I restarted the mini and of course the NAS AFP was unmounted. When I did the code again, I got the above message.
Message 77 of 88
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Just as a follow-up, I finally did get this to work, but not via command-line.

The same thing can be accomplished via System Preferences->Users & Groups->Current User->Login Items-> + button to add Volume.
Message 78 of 88
rcarr6502
Tutor

Using Login Items will work fine. A couple of things to know about AFP mounting of shares:

1. Any shares mounted from a host must all be mounted using the same credentials. ie, you can't mount NAS/share-1 as user jsmith and mount NAS/share-2 as guest. You have to mount all those shares as jsmith or guest.

2. The Login Items method of mounting a share can be slow. You could login, get to the Finder, and find that your share still hasn't mounted yet. Bonjour Mounter seems to be faster in this respect.

3. Mounting of shares by multiple users on a single Macintosh is not fast-user-switching friendly. Let's say your iTunes library exists on your NAS and that you have two local users on your Macintosh. When each user mounts NAS/media, there's no guarantee as to what the mount-point will be. Whoever gets there first will get /volumes/media and the second person to mount it will get /volumes/media-1. Consequently, it's difficult to programmatically set a symbolic link from ~/Music/iTunes to the iTunes library on NAS/media/Music/iTunes.
Message 79 of 88
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Good tips, thank you.

Luckily I'm the only user. I don't think I can handle any more hiccups for a while.

Yes, mounting this way can either be fast or slow. I've seen it mount immediately, but other times take over a minute after the desktop appears. Too bad I couldn't get the Command prompt method to work, but this gets me the same goal with minimal hassle.
Message 80 of 88
Singularity
Tutor

Did you manage to sort your problem out.

To auto mount discs or shares you do not need any form of scripting or any other 3rd party software. You can auto mount a disc or share by specifying them as a Login item in your 'User & Groups' of your preferences panel. You could actually specify different shares for different users if required. It is a simple drag and drop routine.

This is by far the easiest way and no need for complicated routines.

Cheers
Message 81 of 88
BeatCrazy
Aspirant

Singularity wrote:
Did you manage to sort your problem out.

To auto mount discs or shares you do not need any form of scripting or any other 3rd party software. You can auto mount a disc or share by specifying them as a Login item in your 'User & Groups' of your preferences panel. You could actually specify different shares for different users if required. It is a simple drag and drop routine.

This is by far the easiest way and no need for complicated routines.

Cheers

Yes, I got this sorted out. I used the method you're describing. Works fine, every time.
Message 82 of 88
victorhortalive
Aspirant

What is the situation of this automount wrt using a Win7 Bootcamp partition in Parallels ?
If I automount a NAS share under User Login alternatives (with CIFS) and then start Parallels where the same share is mapped to a Win7 drive, is the share already mounted before Parallels starts ? Or does is it get mounted twice ?

Reason I ask is that if I let my MBA sleep with a Parallels Bootcamp already running it seems to take a long time for NAS shares to be available in Win7. Specifically, if I open Outlook and look for emails (my email store is on the mapped NAS share), then I am likely to get a hung programme for 30 secs or so. If I can mount the share before I open Outlook then maybe this is avoided.
Message 83 of 88
sphardy1
Apprentice

I'm a little confused by your terminology - Parallels enables you to run Windows as a VM, whereas Bootcamp is Apple technology to allow Windows to be run natively on Mac hardware

Either way, Windows will mount the shares separately to OSX unless there is a mode in Parallels to make already mapped shares available to the Windows installation (and you are using that)
Message 84 of 88
victorhortalive
Aspirant

OK let's try again.

I'm using my MBA to run Win7 in Parallels. The method I am using involves splitting the MBA SSD drive into 2 partitions, one with OSX installed, the other with Win7 installed via Bootcamp.
Once this is setup, I install and run Parallels in OSX. Parallels allows the Bootcamp partition to be accessed from OSX in a really slick method called "Convergence". In this mode, any Win7 app is available from the dock with only 2 mouse clicks.

So to use this, I boot up OSX (no shares loaded by user login) and then run Parallels to select Outlook that is running in Win7. As part of my Bootcamp setup, I have mapped the NAS share where my Outlook .pst file is located onto a Win7 drive that is mounted when Win7 starts. (Normal stuff in a Win7 environment)

All this works fine, but if I let the MBA sleep with the Parallels Win7 VM active, then there is a lag when awakening which I suspect is the Win7 VM reconnecting the mapped NAS share.

Can I avoid this lag if I mount the same NAS share first in OSX at OSX user startup?

UPDATE : Empirical evidence suggests this doesn't solve the problem, but what might be the theoretical answer ?
Message 85 of 88
sphardy1
Apprentice

The mode you are using is running Windows as a VM, though using the physical installation installed using Bootcamp (rather than from a disk image for example). As such it will be accessing shares directly, not via OSX, and so mounting in OSX first should not make any difference.

FYI: I have noticed that my macs do tend to take longer to mount CIFS based shares vs AFP - never figured why, but I'm meaning maybe 10-15 seconds mac, not 30 secs as you describe.
Message 86 of 88
victorhortalive
Aspirant

OK thanks. So my empirical test is correct.
I guess I'll have to wait while Win7 re-establishes the CIFS links before firing up Outlook. I did notice that I also get a similar effect in coming out of sleep in native Win7 (on a Win PC), but in that case Outlook tells me it can't find the *.pst file and shuts down. Then it does find it the second time around. Here it seems it doesn't get that far, but hangs while it make up its mind.
Message 87 of 88
cloud1
Aspirant

mark this!
Message 88 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements