× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP on Mac OS X Lion with RAIDiator 4.1.8-T9 [1.00a043]

witchcraft
Aspirant

AFP on Mac OS X Lion with RAIDiator 4.1.8-T9 [1.00a043]

All,

I was working fine with the beta until I recently completely rebuilt my box with a factory reset. I reapplied the 4.1.8-T9 upgrade but cannot get my NAS Duo to successfully advertise itself over AFP including for TimeMachine. I have reapplied the patch, turned all AFP services off and then on again, tried numerous reboots - all to no avail. I can run my shares on CIFS so the share part is an annoyance no more but I would really like to get some ideas on how to get TimeMachine working again. I get it advertised once following a NAS Duo reboot then not again. As it is backing up four Macs I'm keen to get it running again.

Help!

Mark
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: AFP on Mac OS X Lion with RAIDiator 4.1.8-T9 [1.00a043]

What patch did you apply?
Message 2 of 11
witchcraft
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4.1.8-T9 [1.00a043] the advertised Beta
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So have you left AFP on and then tried a reboot?
Message 4 of 11
witchcraft
Aspirant

Yes
Message 5 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you restore a Config Backup after doing the factory reset?
Message 6 of 11
witchcraft
Aspirant

No - I did a complete clean rebuild - I now wish I hadn't
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps see if a OS/firmware re-install makes a difference: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

NetGear should be completing its QA of the 4.1.8 firmware soon. This would obviously including doing a factory reset on the new firmware and configuring from scratch.
Message 8 of 11
witchcraft
Aspirant

Thanks I'll try the OS re-install - this is so bloody frustrating as before the rebuild the box was working so smoothly. Roll on the 4.1.8 fw!

Thanks a lot for you help, its appreciated

mark
Message 9 of 11
witchcraft
Aspirant

I have just tried an OS reinstall - no improvement 😞
Message 10 of 11
atlgator
Aspirant

See this forum posting by me: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55683

I had the exact same problem. I could get my Duo to show up with AFP advertisements by stopping and restarting the Time Machine service. But it would always die after a while and would no longer show up. I finally deleted the Time Machine sparsebundle file on the NAS, restarted the Time Machine service, and rebacked up my entire Macbook. Now Time Machine is staying alive and AFP is as well. I only had problems after moving to the beta as well. There is definitely an issue there but I haven't really seen any acknowledgement from the Netgear staff that they're looking into it. Seems like several Duo owners are seeing the exact same problem though. Where there's smoke there's fire....
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements