× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AFP stopped connecting

waldog
Aspirant

AFP stopped connecting

Hi

I'm using a ReadyNAS NV+, which I use as a time machine backup on a Mac running OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks). Until recently this was working fine, then for no reason I've been able to discern, the AFP stopped connecting. I can still see the readynas through CIFS (but obviously can't use it for Time Machine that way).

Everything else about the readynas seems fine. I tried upgrading the firmware (now 4.1.14; unfortunately I didn't note the previous version) but this did not fix the issue. I do not understand what changed: the computer had no update that I can recall. I get the same behaviour (can see the disk on CIFS but no AFP) on a second laptop running OSX 10.10.3. This makes me sure it's not the computer OS but the readyNAS.

In Frontview, AFP is still highlighted under the share listing. I tried disabling and then reenabling the AFP but this did not work.

The AFP share does not show up in the Finder window (CIFS does), and if I try to connect directly ("connect to server" -> afp://xxx) then I'm told "There was a problem connecting to the server "xxx.xxx.x.xx". Contact your system administrator for more information".

Any ideas how I can fix this?
Message 1 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

Re: AFP stopped connecting

Do you have a backup of the the data that is on the readynas? I understand you're using it to backup your Mac, but is there any other data on it?
Are there any addons installed?
Is AFP still enabled under services? - not under the share settings but on the file protocols tab?
You haven't changed any of the permissions for the share? What are the settings?
How full is the data volume?
Do you have ssh enabled?
If you have ssh enabled you should check the OS partition fullness using these commands:
df -h
df -i

Unlikely to be that though, more likely a network access permissions issue.
Message 2 of 7
waldog
Aspirant

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I thought I had checked "notify me" but obviously not.

vandermerwe wrote:
Do you have a backup of the the data that is on the readynas? I understand you're using it to backup your Mac, but is there any other data on it?

Yes, there is other data on the volume (a different partition to that which I use for Time Machine backup). Neither is accessible through the AFP. I can access the general volume through CIFS just fine.

vandermerwe wrote:
Are there any addons installed?

No, additional addons are all disabled.

vandermerwe wrote:
Is AFP still enabled under services? - not under the share settings but on the file protocols tab?

Yes, under "Standard File Protocols" AFP is enabled, and set to advertise over both Bonjour and AppleTalk. I tried disabling and re-enabling these settings – no dice.

vandermerwe wrote:
You haven't changed any of the permissions for the share? What are the settings?

No share permission changes were made before the AFP stopped working. CIFS, NFS and AFP all show up as enabled on the share.

vandermerwe wrote:
How full is the data volume?

56% of an X-RAID configured setup.

vandermerwe wrote:
Do you have ssh enabled?
If you have ssh enabled you should check the OS partition fullness using these commands:
df -h
df -i

I don't seem to have ssh enabled – my attempts to ssh in as the root user were all refused. I looked at this thread (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30331) and this page (https://www.readynas.com/?page_id=617) but I'm not sure how to install the EnableRootSSH binary.

Any other suggestions?
Message 3 of 7
waldog
Aspirant

Bump. Does anyone have ideas on how to fix this? I'm starting to worry that I may have lost my backed up files...

Message 4 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi waldog,

Just to add to what you have talked about. Try restarting the file sharing service of your MAC computer (AFP/SMB) to see if that fixes the problem (Under System Preferences - File Sharing). If the issue is not fixed, can we have another MAC computer to use to further isolate the problem?  

Looking forward to hear back from you.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 5 of 7
waldog
Aspirant

Hi BrianL

I've tried turning "File Sharing" off and back on. Same problem. I've tried this on two different macbook pros (both running OSX 10.10.4, but the other showed the same behaviour under 10.8.x before I updated it recently).

I also tried once more turning "AFP" off and then back on under "shares" in the netgear login. No dice.

Message 6 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi waldog,

Let's hear other people in the community if they can share something to fix your problem with AFP protocol. You can also contact support to have this issue investigated but it will cost money.

Just let me know if you have other questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements