× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add user with admin permission to shares on ReadyNas 314

jonl0711
Aspirant

Add user with admin permission to shares on ReadyNas 314

I have a ReadyNAS 314 withthe expansion unit and I would like to either change the existing user or create a new user with admin permissions so that they can remove files from the NAS.  As it is now there is a user account with only r/w and an admin account.  I would like the user account to be able to use their existing login to have the permission to delete or move files.

The unit is a ReadyNAS 314

Firmware: 6.6.1

Desktops: Windows 10 Professional

This is used in a non AD windows network with a few users who have access to the NAS.

Thanks

Model: RN31443D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Add user with admin permission to shares on ReadyNas 314

@jonl0711 wrote:

It does not appear that this is true.  I login as admin and cnnot delete the snapshots for instance.

So my queston is how do I add/give permissions to users on this NAS?

Snapshot management is not the same as adding/changing/deleting files and folders in the shares.

To delete a snapshot, you log into the admin UI, go to the share lisitng and select "recover".  Then you can right-click on one or more snapshots and delete them. This can only be done by the admin.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Someone with R/W access to the share should be able to delete files already.

Message 2 of 7
jonl0711
Aspirant

It does not appear that this is true.  I login as admin and cnnot delete the snapshots for instance.

Message 3 of 7
jonl0711
Aspirant

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@jonl0711 wrote:

Snapshot management is not the same as adding/changing/deleting files and folders in the shares.

To delete a snapshot, you log into the admin UI, go to the share lisitng and select "recover".  Then you can right-click on one or more snapshots and delete them. This can only be done by the admin.

Message 5 of 7
jonl0711
Aspirant

Thanks for that, I assumed it was like most other NAS units where you can use the admin account on the computer to do the normal things to files/folders.

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You can do "normal tings" with normal files and folders via SMB with an admin login.  But BTRFS snapshots are not normal files and folders.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements