× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding users

malcmail
Aspirant

Adding users

This will seem like the stupidest question in history bu bear with me. Just got a hold of a RadyNAS104. Drives in, software updated, all looking good.  Until I come to add users. Added one. Didn't appear in list. Try to add it again and it told me it either existed or was reserved (it is only my name, which is not root or admin!). Tried a longer version of my name, still nothing on screen. But again still exists after another go. SO tried someone else in the house. Bingo - name appears. So apart from it telling me it hates me, what is going on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
malcmail
Aspirant

Solved - SSH'd to the box and deleted myself. Seemed OK to re-add after that. Weird.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19

All Replies
malcmail
Aspirant

Solved - SSH'd to the box and deleted myself. Seemed OK to re-add after that. Weird.

Message 2 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Did you have a share set up with the same name?

Message 3 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Nope - hadn't set a thing up since I got it. Of course now I'm struggling to find out where to set up home directories. Googled it but looks like the instructions were pre update.

Message 4 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@malcmail wrote:

Nope - hadn't set a thing up since I got it. Of course now I'm struggling to find out where to set up home directories. Googled it but looks like the instructions were pre update.

You don't.  You just set up the user account, and the home directory is created the first time they log in.

Message 5 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. When you say log in.... To the admin dashboard? By SMB etc?

Message 6 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@malcmail wrote:

Thanks for the help. When you say log in.... To the admin dashboard? By SMB etc?

By SMB.

Message 7 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Great thanks. I'll hopefully get chance to sort that soon. Might be back in touch 😉

Message 8 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Thinking something not right here. Running the 104 unit with 6.2.5 on it. Where it should mention home folders (system > settings) I can't see anything like this. ANy ideas?

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@malcmail wrote:

Thinking something not right here. Running the 104 unit with 6.2.5 on it. Where it should mention home folders (system > settings) I can't see anything like this. ANy ideas?

I don't know what you mean exactly.

Home folders are enabled on system->shared (there should be a "home" folder there identified as "special").  You can see if it is enabled there, and also select file protocols, private time machine backup, and snapshots. 

If they are enabled, the first time you access the NAS with SMB using that users's credentials, the home folder is created.

Message 10 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Ws reading tha manual and said I had to enable them elsewhere. But I can see home showing as special so must be all good then.

Message 11 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Although if I use my windows box and connect it needs no password (not the same user name) and no sign of anything home related. Just shows first level of folders except for the home one.

Message 12 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@malcmail wrote:

Although if I use my windows box and connect it needs no password (not the same user name) and no sign of anything home related. Just shows first level of folders except for the home one.

That's because your windows box begins by presenting the windows user/password to the NAS.  If that is accepted, it won't prompt.  And because guest access is enabled for NAS shares by default, the NAS will accept the windows user/password even if it has not been created on the NAS.

The solution is to go into windows credential manager, and delete any existing credentials for the NAS.  Then create a new windows credential, specifying the username/password for the appropriate NAS account.

Message 13 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

OK doke. I'll give that a go. Thanks

Message 14 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

There was nothing in credentials manager. But I changed a folder to allow access to me only. When I tried to log in I was prompted for details - that seems to heave created the home folder for me. Just for info in case anyone else is as hopeless as me!  Thanks for your help.

Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@malcmail wrote:

There was nothing in credentials manager. 

The idea was to create the correct credential.

Message 16 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

Ah right. Got there the long way I guess.

Of course now I have an issue with loggin in from a Linux box. When I try to mount my home share (via CLI) it says that it is denied. Same username and password on both sides though.

Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@malcmail wrote:

Of course now I have an issue with loggin in from a Linux box. When I try to mount my home share (via CLI) it says that it is denied. Same username and password on both sides though.

What protocol? SMB or NFS?

Message 18 of 19
malcmail
Aspirant

On the Linux box, NFS.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation