× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backing up a RN-312 to an external USB Drive

pjhunter
Aspirant

Backing up a RN-312 to an external USB Drive

I've been having problems with my backup jobs failing after I've swapped a new external USB drive.  I have the solution, but I thought I'd post the problem/solution for others in a similiar situation.

Here's my situation.  I have a ReadyNAS 312 with Firmware 6.2.4.  I have the 312 setup as Raid 1 (mirroring) with 2 4TB drives.  I have an external 4TB drive connected via the USB port that I use for backup.  That is, I have a backup job that runs daily that does incremental copies to the USB drive.  Once a week I eject the USB drive and swap in another and store the first offsite.

The backups are performed using the RSync protocol as follows:

RSync Setup.jpg

I've had problems in getting the backup job to run after the swap.  I kept getting a "cannot connect to host" and indeed the test connection on the destination tab on the backup job fails.  When you look at the details of the failure, there is a 7077010011 error code.  I finally found the problem (and solution).  After the drive swap and the new drive is recognized and share created, it is shared with the SMB service only.  You have to go back to the share and enable the RSYNC service on the USB drive.  Once I did that, the backup ran perfectly.

Message 1 of 2
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backing up a RN-312 to an external USB Drive

Hello pjhunter,

We appreciate your contribution to the community. Feel free to post any suggestions, questions, recommendations or anything about your NAS that you think needs attention or will help others.

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements