× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bahaviour when taking 1 defective disk out

dishmagic66
Guide

Bahaviour when taking 1 defective disk out

My RN104 with 4 ST2000DM001's in raid 5 started sending me mails like this:
Detected increasing uncorrectable error count: [48] on disk 4 (Internal) [ST2000DM001-1CH164, Z1E42XDT]. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Please be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

So this means a dying disk (quick after one year).
Now the Seller want me to sent the disk to them so they can deal with Seagate. No problem so far but i want to keep using the nas with one of the 4 disks missing till i have a replacement after 2 to 4 weeks.

- Can the nas be used normally with 3 drives? ( meaning powering up, powering down, the normal stuff)
- When the new drive arrives, can i put it in with the nas powered on? ( while i have powered it on and off and all the normal use )

I know it sounds crazy coz there is no redundancy, but i have a good backup 😄
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Bahaviour when taking 1 defective disk out

(a) the NAS will run with only three drives. Access will be slower, as data blocks that are on the missing disk need to be reconstructed from the three remaining. Obviously maintain your backups while in this state.

(b) You should also be able to RMA the drive to Seagate yourself. Seagate will give you a re-certified disk in exchange.

I've found that the re-certified drives don't last as well as new ones. So you might consider buying your own replacement, and using the returned disk somewhere else. Unless you can get a new one from your seller...
Message 2 of 3
dishmagic66
Guide

Re: Bahaviour when taking 1 defective disk out

I did the last backup and won't copy any new stuff to the nas. The external usb drive will be disconnected and all scheduled backup disabled.
The rma process with the seller has allready started and is accepted. So whe will see what they come up with (new disk i hope and in case of a re-certified disk i will buy a spare myself).
Thanks for the advice.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements