× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best way to configure a used Ultra 6

ThurstonX
Aspirant

Best way to configure a used Ultra 6

Greetings.

After nearly 10 years of excellent service, the PSU on my original Infrant ReadyNAS NV finally gave up the ghost. While I ordered a replacement from the UK (off eBay; seemed the only option), I also decided that it was time to expand capacity in a big way. To that end, I bought an Ultra 6 loaded with 6 x 3TB WD Red HDDs, also off eBay. It's arriving tomorrow, so I have a couple questions regarding configuring it.

I also have an Ultra 4 that is at around 82% capacity. My plan is to recreate the Ultra 4's configuration on the Ultra 6, copy over the data, then reconfigure the Ultra 4 to take the data from the ReadyNAS NV, assuming the replacement PSU does its job.

My first question is, can I back up the Ultra 4's configuration and restore it to the Ultra 6? The biggest problem I see is that the HDDs are different. I'm just looking for the quickest method to create the Ultra 4's config on the Ultra 6. It's not a big deal if I have to configure the Ultra 6 manually, just figured it was worth asking. If using the Ultra 4's saved config is possible, I would definitely upgrade both to the latest version RAIDiator first.

Regardless of the answer to that question, should I perform a factory reset on the Ultra 6 before doing anything else? Is there an obvious benefit to doing so, or should I just plug it in and turn it on? If the Ultra 6 is not using DHCP, that may be a problem. I use static IPs on all my PCs and devices. I suppose it couldn't hurt to plug it in, power it up and see what RAIDar says.

That's the scenario, and those are the questions that come to mind immediately. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Best way to configure a used Ultra 6

@ThurstonX wrote:

OK, I gather "OS4" is the old RAIDiator 4.x.x.  OS6 is... OS6.

Yes.  Switching to OS6 will require a reset.  If your disks are used, its a good a idea to do the reset even with OS4

One benefit is that your volume expansion limit of 8 TiB will start from the initial volume size.  Another is that you will start with known stuff on the OS partition, with nothing left behind from the previous owner.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If the NAS is used, consider going with OS6 instead of matching the ultra-4.

Assuming OS4:

I would start by booting it up with a scratch disk.  After it installs, check the firmware, and match it to your ultra-4.

Then power down, insert the real disks, and power up.  It will then install the same firmware on the NAS.

If you want to try migrating the config, you then should install the same addons as you have on the ultra-4.

I think at point you should be able to reload the saved config.  Though personally I'd probably just recreate it manually.  Match the UID and GID for any users.

Then migrate the data itself with frontview backup.  I do this share by share. It'll probably be fastest to do NFS backup, then edit the backup job to use rsync and run it a second time.

Message 2 of 6
ThurstonX
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not familiar with OS6 and OS4.  These are firmwares that replaced RAIDiator?  I'll do some research.  If they are the latest and greatest, do you recommend replacing RAIDiator on both the Ultra 4 and Ultra 6 with them?  If so, why?  I'm more than willing to start from scratch with the Ultra 6, configure it as needed, copy over the data from the Ultra 4, then factory reset the Ultra 4, and finally upgrade it to OS4... if I'm following you correctly.

I've been reading posts from mdgm about the benefits of doing a factory reset, depending on the historical firmware upgrade path on the device, as indicated by initrd.log.  Since I'll likely be re-doing the configs manually, is it best to do a factory reset first?  Is the correct procedure to apply the latest firmware, be it RAIDiator or OS[4 | 6], then do the factory reset?

It's been so long since I've had to start from scratch that my memory is a bit fuzzy.

Thanks.

Found this.  It's old, but I guess it's what you're hinting at:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING-NO-NTGR-SUP...

I don't think the lack of NTGR support is a big deal, since these are old units.  Any other relevant links would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 6
ThurstonX
Aspirant

Can't do a second edit to my last post...

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ThurstonX wrote:

Yes.  Switching to OS6 will require a reset.  If your disks are used, its a good a idea to do the reset even with OS4

One benefit is that your volume expansion limit of 8 TiB will start from the initial volume size.  Another is that you will start with known stuff on the OS partition, with nothing left behind from the previous owner.

Message 5 of 6
ThurstonX
Aspirant

After reading the first few pages of the OS6 upgrade thread, I'm not inclined to go that route, though I will keep reading.  My uses and needs from my ReadyNASes are pretty basic.  The biggest con for me is the lack of fan control, though perhaps that's been addressed.  The Ultras are in a "public" space (i.e., the living room ;-), so I need the noise profile to be as low as possible.

And yes, the benefits of cost-free factory resets on both Ultras with 4.2.27 seem obvious.  Now I just need that replacement PSU for the NV to work once it arrives.

Appreciate the quick replies and setting my mind straight on the procedures.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements