× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bitrot error in free apps

funglenn
Luminary

Bitrot error in free apps

My ReadyNAS ran a scrub and I saw this in the logs:

Thu Feb 1 2018 5:13:12 Volume: Bit rot has detected an error within /apps/.freeapps/memeoc1 and cannot correct the error.
Thu Feb 1 2018 5:13:08 Volume: Bit rot has detected an error within and cannot correct the error.

what should I do? since the affected file is in the /apps/ folder it is not one i can pull to compare, not that i would have the file to compare to.  However everything else registered fine adn the system and all drives are green and appear to be fully working.

should i be concerned? the scrub runs every few months...

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Bitrot error in free apps

That shouldn't be a concerning thing. The error hasn't occurred in important data.

Message 2 of 5
funglenn
Luminary

can i somehow correct this error? do they cascade at all? 

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you know, which app is concerned you could try to deinstall and reinstall it. The file should be removed and rewritten by this approach.

However, in case you might fear to loose any important app-related data during this process (config-files etc), just do not follow this recommendation.

You are performing this on your risk, anyway. Good luck.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

If you know, which app is concerned you could try to deinstall and reinstall it.

The app isn't installed - /apps/.freeapps is a catalog of the available apps available for installation.

Memeo C1 was deprecated/removed back with OS 6.6.0 because it wasn't compatible with the linux updates that Netgear applied in that release.  What firmware are you running?  The memeoc1 folder doesn't show up at all in my RN526.

Anyway, this shouldn't be a operational problem - the app isn't installed, the folder shouldn't be there in the first place.  These issues don't cascade - the bitrot detection uses btrfs checksums, and the checksum for this folder is simply wrong.  You could try turning off those checksums, and see if the folder eventually is deleted.  Or turn them off, and try manually deleting the folder with ssh or perhaps by accessing the full data volume with SMB (using NAS admin credentials).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements