× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Broken Frontview, can't access through SMB

Hendralux
Aspirant

Broken Frontview, can't access through SMB

Hi,

I've literally been trying to fix my NV+ for days. Actually years as I had given up a couple of years ago.

I decided to buy a new NAS but I want to transfer my files over from the old NV+ so I'm trying to get it to work. I've tried everything that I've read in the forums (I think at least). Mostly from a user called mdgm who is seems very helpful. But unfortunately everything I try just throws up new errors.

I've done the OS reinstall and also USB Boot. Both were successful but the NV+ is still mostly unusable except for very intermittent periods where I can access through smb. But then it fails.

The biggest problem is a broken Frontview which simply doesn't render correctly any more. Therefore I can't upgrade the latest firmware to see if that helps.

I've tried tried accessing through multiple browsers, old and new. I've tried on multiple machines. Raidar can see the NAS but mostly won't allow me to 'browse', although it did work for a short period. It's very frustrating.

Is there anyone who can tell me what I could try next? I really don't want a factory reset as there are files on there which I don't have backups for unfortunately.

Kind regards,

David
Message 1 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Since your NAS is still detected on RAIDar, what is the current firmware version?
How many drives are inside you NAS? Did you receive any e-mail notification that a drive(s) has failed?
What is the behavior of the LED lights at the front panel of your NAS?
Have you tried to connect your NAS directly to your PC and try to access the shares and back it up?
Message 2 of 10
Hendralux
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Ixa.

The current firmware version is 4.1.2 which is because I did an OS reinstall I think.
There are 4 x 2Tb drives - I received no notification that any drives have failed and all come up healthy in RAIDar. Also showed healthy when I have had very intermittent success of connecting through Frontview - although this is totally broken now.
The LED lights are solid and steady.
I have tried a direct connection but I still had no way of accessing the shares. It wouldn't allow a connection through Windows. Windows insisted that there is no such device on the network although RAIDar sees it. Could not access through RAIDar's browser function either.

Current state is that I can't even boot up now so it's got worse. It's hanging in 'booting up' mode.

I have read lots about logfiles clogging up the OS partition and that may be the issue but I can't access the thing to get rid of them.

Kind regards,

David
Message 3 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

I suggest that you run a disk check on all of your 4x2TB drives using either Seagate SeaTools or Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. I recommend you to run an Extended test on all drives. Check these links:

http://www.seagate.com/as/en/support/do ... in-master/
http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =612&sid=3

Do you have a spare drive? If yes, turn off your your NAS and pull-out all of your existing 4x2TB drives. Then, insert the spare drive then perform a factory reset then setup the NAS and update the firmware to the latest version 4.1.14. Here is the link where to download the latest firmware v4.1.14:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25786

If all 4x2TB drives passed the Extended test and the NAS has booted up using the spare disk, here is what your going to do: Pull-out the spare disk from the NAS then insert all of your 4x2TB drives then check if the NAS will boot up just fine.
Message 4 of 10
Hendralux
Aspirant

Thank you Ixa. I'll get on with that and let you know.

Kind regards,

David
Message 5 of 10
Hendralux
Aspirant

Hi again Ixa.

I almost thought we'd fixed it then. I took the drives out, put a new one in, did a factory reset and it worked perfectly. I upgraded to the latest firmware as you suggested and I could log on through Frontview.

The problem is that I couldn't diagnose the 4 x 2tb Samsung disks. I put them in a USB caddy and my PC, athough accepted them, wouldn't show the drive in My Computer. Is it because it is a drive part of a RAID setup and therefore windows couldn't access it?

Therefore, without testing I put them all back in the NAS box and hit power. I thought it was going to work but it is now in perpetual 'Booting...' mode.

Raidar sees it. It has the correct name (NASTEST) and has a tick next to all drives but the status is stuck on 'System starting up'. The 4 green lights on the box itself are all on and steady and the power button is slowly flashing blue.

Should I try ...er....turning it off and on again? I'm at a loss.

Kind regards,

David
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just sent you a PM. Please check your PM inbox.

A bad disk is one possibility.
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You had a 1.3GB ReadyDLNA log file and the p2p service log file was 200MB. The 2GB OS partition was full.
Message 8 of 10
Hendralux
Aspirant

Thanks so much to Mdgm and IXa. The problem was solved and was down to a huge logfile.

Kind regards,

David
Message 9 of 10
ChristosD
Aspirant

Hi There, I have exactly the same symptoms with my Duo.  I have occasional access via SMB, Raidar sees it perfectly, but trying access setup through Raidar  doesnt work with any of my browsers.  "Connection refused"  I have been using the NAS as a squeezebox server for ages and have a decent library on it and all of my squeezeboxes can play data from it, but I cant even access the Logitech media server on it on port 9000 either.  If this is a READYDLNAlog or p2p log file issue, how can I clear these files mdgm.  please help.

btw ..I am running 4.1.13 on the duo

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements