× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CIFS/NFS trouble (Boxee Box & ReadyNAS Ultra)

BurtR
Aspirant

CIFS/NFS trouble (Boxee Box & ReadyNAS Ultra)

Yesterday I upgraded to 4.2.19 on my Readynas Ultra, and now I can only connect my Boxee Box to my Readynas with CIFS or NFS, but I cant find my files. To find them I have to use AFP. It seems I have to go to my "c" folder to access my media files (using CIFS or NFS) after the upgrade. But my Boxee Box wont let me do that. Anyone else with Boxee Box (or similar) having the same problems? Suggestions to how I can fix this?
(im not even sure anyone will understand what my problem is because of my english skills, or lack of... :lol: )
Message 1 of 11
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Re: CIFS/NFS trouble (Boxee Box & ReadyNAS Ultra)

Does your Boxee box show empty shares when connecting to the over CIFS or NFS? What if you create a new share as a test?
Message 2 of 11
BurtR
Aspirant

I will try that, thanks for your reply!
Message 3 of 11
denarius1
Aspirant

I have a similar problem on my ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus since immediately after upgrading to 4.2.19 a few days ago. I used to be able to view the subdirectories of the "media" folder via Windows Explorer on my Windows 7 and Windows XP systems. Now the only folder visible is a single "subsonic" folder.

I can see all the subdirectories via AFP on my Mac, and also via the browser http file manager, but not via CIFS or NFS.

Tech support has escalated the issue and I am patiently waiting for them to access it and figure it out. Since it is a clearly defined problem that appeared with 4.2.19, I assume they will be able to resolve it in 4.2.19x or revert back to the previous version.
Message 4 of 11
denarius1
Aspirant

This appears to have been unrelated to the 4.2.19 update except for the fact that the update was followed by the first reboot of my ReadyNAS after my installation of Subsonic.

I'm not clear on the details of the solution, but upon reboot some file that was accessed by samba included the wrong path for the "media" directory, showing it in the root directory. I assume that the file had been modified by the Subsonic installation. The "subsonic" folder is in the root directory.
Message 5 of 11
Horpe
Aspirant

Hello,
Exactly the samme issue here; Subsonic etc... I'm thinking about reverting to 4.2.18... Will that do?

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57083

Cheers!
/Horpe
Message 6 of 11
Horpe
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
Does your Boxee box show empty shares when connecting to the over CIFS or NFS? What if you create a new share as a test?

I tried to do and that worked, and I also could create a new folder inside it.

However, when I tried to create a new folder Inside my (almost, except Subsonic) empty share I got the message
"You need permission to perform this action".

Cheers
/Horpe
Message 7 of 11
denarius1
Aspirant

Re: CIFS/NFS trouble (Tivo & ReadyNAS Ultra)

I assumed too quickly that the issue was resolved. I should have checked to see if the ReadyNAS files were visible through Tivo (they were not). I also should have thought to have support reboot the NAS to confirm that the issue would not return then.

When troubleshooting the Tivo listing on my own, in Frontview > Streaming Services I rescanned the media files, disabled and enabled the Tivo service (with no result) then rebooted both the Tivo and the NAS. That took it back to the original problem condition -- I can't see the files in the "media" directory via CIFS. Again I await escalated support to access the system.

I assume that this is not related to v4.2.19, but instead some config file which has an effect at bootup getting inappropriately modified by the installation script of either subsonic or Plex Media Server (which the logs show me I installed the same day as subsonic). But I am just guessing.
Message 8 of 11
piepskie
Aspirant

Any solutions? I am having the same problem.
Message 9 of 11
denarius1
Aspirant

No solution yet. My days of new-user-support count down while I wait for a Level 3 tech to take action. Level 1 techs are nice and eager to help, but all they can do is repeat that the issue has been escalated. Not an admirable support system. 😞

I will see if a new topic with my Case # can help move this toward a resolution.
Message 10 of 11
denarius1
Aspirant

Scratch that idea. I recommend reading this discussion:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57805

and following the suggestion to rename the "media" share (then rename it back to "media"). I guess that would have to be done after each reboot until the issue (apparently introduced in firmware 4.2.19) is eventually resolved with a firmware update.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements