× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CRAZY STUFF!

bobmarker
Aspirant

CRAZY STUFF!

Hey guys, I have an Ultra 6 that has 4 computers attached to it through my network.

The max speeds I can ever get on each computer is around 30 MB both directions. NEVER more.

But when I run long tests on each of the 4 computers simultaneously connected to the NAS, I STILL get around 30 MB on EACH computer. These are sustained tests for more than 3 hours and the speeds average around 30MB the whole time. If I take 1 or 2 or 3 computers off the transfer to/from the NAS, none of the other computers still connected ever experience any speed increase as would be expected. Thats' around 120MB/s that the NAS can get me, but only 30 MB/s at each connection.

So.... I can only get 30 MB dl/up speeds on each computer whether it's the only computer transfering to the NAS or if it's one of four computers connected and trasnfering to/from NAS.

WHat's up? Ideally, I'd like to use all that bandwidth (around 120 MB/s) on ONE computer if only ONE computer is transferring files. Or I'd like to see 60 MB/s speeds if 2 computers are connected, etc. But no 30 MB/s no matter HOW many computers are transferring.

Any suggestions?

I have jumbo frames disabled. We are running Windows 7 Ultimate on 4 different PCs (HP, Dell, 27" i5 iMac/Bootcamp, Alien). Running Cat 6 on all Gigabit Netgear supported switches, and other equipment, etc.
Message 1 of 8
bobmarker
Aspirant

Re: CRAZY STUFF!

Any ideas?
Message 2 of 8
bobmarker
Aspirant

Is anyone even on here anymore?
Message 3 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

what are you using to measure this 30mbs?

also, what are you copying? large single files or ton of small pics? folders full of small files will always copy slower than larger single files

you might check out net meter http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/i ... opic=473.0 this will show realtime bandwidth useage, or alternatively the 'resource monitor' from the windows task mgr has a good bandwidth meter.

i would try connecting a single computer direct to the nas (use fastest pc if possible, and make sure you have static ips).

are they all laptops? most laptop drives are pretty slow, the nas speed would be limited by the client drive

do you have any with solid state drives?
Message 4 of 8
LrdShaper
Aspirant

TeknoJnky is right. Your bottleneck could be the PC drives. Have you tried copying a large file from one local drive to another local drive and measure the speed?
Message 5 of 8
balky
Aspirant

With my current experience with netgear NV+, I seriously doubt that the disk drive is the the bottle neck...

IDE drives data rate is 100MB/s or 130MB/s depending on the type of drive you have... and the really old ones can do 30MB/s at the worst...

SATA is definitely way faster... 🙂
Message 6 of 8
dbott67
Guide

Try using a RAM disk (search the forums here, I definitely recall reading a post or 2 on creating a RAM disk).

It's quite possible that the disk I/O is the limitation, although 30 MB/s per PC seems a bit low. 50 to 60 MB/s for a typical desktop class PC is more likely. See here for more info: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=363
Message 7 of 8
Ruben_cc
Aspirant

I had the same question, but also think it's the limit of the computer, not the NAS. I also have transfer speed of about 30 MB/s. When I start streaming a movie to my Xbox, it's still 30 MB. If my brother simultaneously starts to watch another movie on his Xbox, it is still the same speed to the computer, even though now three clients are requesting data from the NAS.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements